Register

Help installing a Better Place charger
11-25-2015, 09:41 PM
Help installing a Better Place charger
Hi,

I've got an original Better Place charging station (it came with the car, which I bought from an original Better Place buyer). Before I call an electrician to install it, I wanted to know if anyone can give me tips on DIY. Opening the unit and mounting it to the wall is straightforward, but the wiring has openings for L1, L2, L3, N, and ground, and I'm using a basic 16 amp lead (live, neutral, ground) from the circuit board, and wondering if it makes a difference whether the live wire goes in L1, 2, or 3.

Please respond only if you know which wires go where; no need to respond to tell me to call an electrician; thank you! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-26-2015, 09:28 PM
RE: Help installing a Better Place charger
Well, I figured it out on my own. The L1 slot was the only one that had any signs of usage, so I attached the live wire there, and voila, it works.

Now I would just love to know how to change the charging amperage from 16 to 10, without having the internal code for the machine.
12-02-2015, 01:13 PM
/it appears you are using a 3phase charger, but only using a single phase (L1) in order to charge. Of course, the Fluence cannot accept a rapid charge, so it would appear the device you have either randomly selects a phase to use, or has the ability to merge all three. BP was really set up to charge battery packs off-vehicle.... have you a picture of it?
12-02-2015, 01:20 PM
(12-02-2015 01:13 PM)Buzby Wrote:  /it appears you are using a 3phase charger, but only using a single phase (L1) in order to charge. Of course, the Fluence cannot accept a rapid charge, so it would appear the device you have either randomly selects a phase to use, or has the ability to merge all three. BP was really set up to charge battery packs off-vehicle.... have you a picture of it?

Thanks for the reply! I managed to connect the device to the electricity just fine, as well as to mount it on the wall.

Apparently, the station uses 16 amps, but it is alterable to 10 amps, but the change "must" be done by the company that services the charging stations over here (Israel) -- Gnrgy (of course, for a fee).

As soon as I figure out how to get photos on here, I'll post them.

Regards,

Joseph
12-02-2015, 01:36 PM
(12-02-2015 01:13 PM)Buzby Wrote:  /it appears you are using a 3phase charger, but only using a single phase (L1) in order to charge. Of course, the Fluence cannot accept a rapid charge, so it would appear the device you have either randomly selects a phase to use, or has the ability to merge all three. BP was really set up to charge battery packs off-vehicle.... have you a picture of it?

Let me know if this works:

[Image: dateposted-public]

and

[Image: dateposted-public]