Register

Long range
12-04-2016, 11:11 PM
Long range
We bought our Fluence as a local car, accepting without any doubts in our mind, that it would be nearly impossible to venture out-of-county, but wishing to experience the pleasures (and there are many) of electric cars.

Nothing has changed, we have a Zoe for longer trips, and a Bentley for still longer trips.

The Fluence has a big enough battery pack, but it's a biggish car, and longer, so still heavier than the diesel version. The battery-swap approach they envisaged failed to establish itself, just as with Tesla, who built a few examples before seeming to mothball them indefinitely.

That meant the Zoe had the winning technology of rapid charging, and the Fluence was a blind alley for Renaults research department.

Good on them for exploring the possibilities.

But a thought occurred to me the other day that somebody might want, in the spirit of adventure, to test out.

Here in Wales we used a lot of battery power to get to the top of our hills, and then regenerate a lot of it rolling down the other side. Last week I had eight miles of remaining range with eight miles to home. I used only two miles of that range on the trip because it was mostly downhill.

I was regenerating at 30 to 40kW for several miles.

Not bad for a charging system that is supposed to manage no more than 3kW or so.

What happens if you put a Fluence on a rolling road at an MoT testing station and wind the wheels over at 20 to 30 miles an hour? Won't that regenerate the battery in 30 minutes?

Perhaps we can recharge the battery not at charging posts, but at MoT stations!!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2016, 12:04 PM
RE: Long range
The MoT rolling roads are passive - it is the car that makes them roll, so any energy transfer can only be to immobile rolling road - not the other way round!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply