Hello fellow EV lovers! - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Hello fellow EV lovers!

Hello EV fans!
My name is Cara and in my day job I work for the UK Charity Zero Carbon World as the Project Manager supporting people on their transition from fossil fuelled cars to EVs www.zerocarbonworld.org I help communities with their transition to EVs by donating free public Charging Stations to their local hotel/B&Bs/Tourist/Leisure locations. Also help with affordable EV charging components, useful accessories, EV discussions/information and love the test driving of new EVs. I am learning, sharing and listening about EVs and people's experiences and desires to help create an easier transition to EVs for all.
I am a passionate environmentalist and eco designer and I also help volunteer in my local community finding local solutions to create resilience to peak fossil fuels and climate change. I campaign for, and aspire to, a positive eco happy world for all.
I look forward to being here discussing EV topics with you all and being part of the rEVolution to a happy EV world.

Project Manager for the UK Charity Zero Carbon World www.zerocarbonworld.org
Zero Carbon World is a UK Registered Charity #1141347
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 11:29 AM
Banned

RE: Hello fellow EV lovers!

Welcome, Cara. Sounds like a bit of an interesting job, getting to sample the goodies. Tell us, when planning to donate a charging station how do you decide what spec? With so many options of AC or DC, voltage, max amps as well as the various plug formats surely it's a nightmare. Or do you just fit the "latest" and hope it remains current for a while before it's superceded?

It seems to me that government policy (if they have one) is to go for the latest and to **** with the early adopters who require an earlier format - like a 13A socket to rescue someone with a GWiz who can't quite make it home...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauledg
Welcome, Cara. Sounds like a bit of an interesting job, getting to sample the goodies. Tell us, when planning to donate a charging station how do you decide what spec? With so many options of AC or DC, voltage, max amps as well as the various plug formats surely it's a nightmare. Or do you just fit the "latest" and hope it remains current for a while before it's superceded?

It seems to me that government policy (if they have one) is to go for the latest and to **** with the early adopters who require an earlier format - like a 13A socket to rescue someone with a GWiz who can't quite make it home...
Thank you for your kind welcome and yes it is a very interesting job and a lovely Charity to work for.
We have been donating pairs of Charging Stations - one 32amp Type2 Mennekes which is the EU standard Charging Station plus a back up 13map 3 pin socket so that there is a charging access for those without Type 2 or the correct charging cables. We also have available from our shop Type 2 - Type 1 cables so early adopters with J1772 connectors can use the newer Type 2 Mennekes Charging Stations.

All our installed donations are on the ZeroNet Charging Station network www.zerocarbonworld.org/zero-net

Best EV wishes,

Cara
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Banned

Can I tout my business too? Should there be a specific section for such matters? What's the difference between this and the Russian spambots?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyCabbie
Can I tout my business too? Should there be a specific section for such matters? What's the difference between this and the Russian spambots?
A bit harsh, GC. I think Cara is reasonably answering a question there, albeit with a self-interest in promoting ZCW (which is a charity, after all).
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 01:29 AM

I see a big difference between ZCW saying hi and a Russian spambot posting 50 questionable links to duty free tobacco.

[hr]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyCabbie
Can I tout my business too?
EV related? Yes within reason. Not EV related? Yes, within reason.

I would ban for spam and anything illegal.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 08:07 AM
Banned

Charity or not, the forum (owners) make money from selling advertising space yet it's ok for a 'charity' to tout for free?

You wanna sell or push your wares (ev related or not), you pay up like anyone else.

Might come across as harsh but that's business isn't it? Why pay for advertising when you can become a charity (any business owner knows the benefits of that if you can do it) and advertise for free. Sorry, in my mind it's one rule for all.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 09:02 AM
Banned

I must say I found Cara's post both interesting and informative. The charity does appear to be providing a free service ".....I help communities with their transition to EVs by donating free public Charging Stations to their local hotel/B&Bs/Tourist/Leisure locations......" and this information could be of benefit to to such locations and to us users. Had she not brought this to my attention I for one would not have known that such a facility existed.

We don't want to be swamped by rubbish advertising (rubbish to us, possibly not to the advertiser of course) but in my mind Cara does not fall into that camp. Cara has a clear interest in EV's, surely that is what we are about.

How we manage to keep true spammers at bay is a more difficult question - if we move elsewhere who's to say the spammers won't do likewise. The internet is a dangerous place, for sure.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page