Renault Megane ZE electric crafted by Continental - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Renault Megane ZE electric crafted by Continental

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11208314...by-continental

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Car Fans
Continental develops an EV version of the Megane.

There's a reason why Renault hasn't created an all-electric version of the Megane and that's because they have the Fluence ZE, but Continental has decided to develop their own Megane EV. The German tire manufacturer used only in-house parts and obtained just about the same results as the ones achieved by Renault.

Let's not forget that Continental is in charge of producing the electric motors for the aforementioned Fluence ZE and also for the Kangoo ZE so it's quite obvious why they decided to focus on the Megane as well. The vehicle comes with an electric motor that produces 95 hp (70 kW / 96 PS) and 166 lb-ft (226 Nm) that draws its power from a battery pack that weighs 154 kg (339 lbs).

This all-electric Renault Megane is capable of providing a range of up to 150 km (93 miles) and it can do the 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) sprint in 11.9 seconds. Continental has also fitted this Megane EV with a new upholstery made of 40 percent renewable materials. The vehicle rides on narrow 20-inch alloy wheels for a reduced rolling resistance and improved airflow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 06:47 AM

RE: Renault Megane ZE electric crafted by Continental

Very interesting - but I guess a range of just 150km is the cost of a bigger car.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Very interesting ...
Well, I still think, it's only the third or fourth best idea to convert a conventional combustion car into an EV.

It starts with the arrangement of the components that will always lead to a compromise concerning the batteriy/usability and ends with the heating problem (electric cars have much colder coolant temperatures so that conventional heat exchangers fails to do the job properly)..

That's why I settle for the Zoe, the first car you can buy that was designed as an electric car...

Regards
Umbi
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 04:57 PM

I agree that it's better not to convert an ICE car - for example, the Renault Fluence and Ford Focus EVs lose half their boot space to fit in the batteries. However, I believe the LEAF was designed as an electric car, and because of the Nissan-Renault alliance the Zoe also benefits from what was learnt with the LEAF.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
However, I believe the LEAF was designed as an electric car
You're right. I correct my statement: the first properly designed and affordable EV-only car. :-)

Regards
Umbi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page