Battery rental 'issue'. - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Battery rental 'issue'.

I was just idling through the battery rental agreement for my Fluence.

I did look through it before, but did so strictly from the point of view that I would be handing it back at the end of my PCP.

However, looking at it again from the perspective of considering if I want to buy it at the end of the term:

Quote:
"2. Period of Hire
2.1 The Period of Hire shall be the fixed period specified in the Schedule.
2.2 We may by written agreement with you agree to extend the period of hire providing you let us know at least 30 days before
this Hire Agreement is due to end that you wish to extend. Any such extension must be for a minimum of 3 months and this Hire
Agreement is subject to a maximum term of 72 months. In the event that we agree to extend the period of hire, then new payment terms
will apply in accordance with clause 4 below.
2.3 As this is a Hire Agreement you will at no stage own the Battery."
err... so you can extend the agreement, but it is limited to 72 months. What happens after 72 months?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 03:16 PM
Banned

RE: Battery rental 'issue'.

They'll have recouped the value of the battery in rental and thus it is now yours?

If that is true then after 6 years the battery is yours and you have a bargain electric car.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

I somehow doubt that was their intention for the contract terms!!!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 04:10 PM
Banned

So how is one meant to interpret it?

After 6 years they come and take it off you? Give you reduced prices or modified terms?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 05:59 PM
Eep

Without wishing to sound like the stuck record I already probably do sound like, this just highlights what a stupid idea it is. As well as being beyond the understanding of the very buyers Renault is seeking to tempt, the agreement itself is shot through with ambiguities and uncertainties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyCabbie
They'll have recouped the value of the battery in rental and thus it is now yours?

If that is true then after 6 years the battery is yours and you have a bargain electric car.
Not likely given point 2.3 which reinforces the fact the finance company own the battery.

I'm presuming they simply tear that agreement up and start another one, though there is a possibility that at the point of termination at 72 months they can simply offer you it for sale - and in which case, this begs the question why they didn't offer that in the first place.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 04:04 AM

If you plan on keeping the car long-term then why not think of the purchase price as the 40% down-payment or deposit, with 76 a month hire or lease charge. Doesn't sound so bad, now. Oh, and 70% off all your fuel bills and free road tax.

Have I persuaded you?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 04:29 AM
Eep

I think there are a number of good reasons to adopt the battery rental model, but the problem is twofold: firstly, those reasons are outnumbered by reasons not to adopt the battery rental model, and secondly, you will have a hard time persuading the buying public that it makes sense anyway.

Even now that Fluences are pin money, there remains a nagging doubt evident on EV forums everywhere that your purchase will forever tie you to Renault dealers. Example: no private buyer is going to turn up at your house with wad of 20 notes for the car and a pen to sign the lease, a legally binding and highly ambiguous document that he or she will have never seen before.

OK so you could dispose of the car at your dealer. But you will forever be wincing at trade in values, and your local Renault franchise will in all likelihood be terrible. Admittedly there was an Auto Express survey last year which placed them high up the satisfaction charts, but considering they have languished at the bottom of every single table I have ever seen, and for decades, I'm unconvinced.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 06:13 AM
Banned

In the defense of Renault dealers and I'll add that I have never used one, I know previously they've had a bad press for being totally unhelpful and dreadful. When I'd always assumed that too and past experience confirmed this negative, but when I've been for test drives in the Fluence they were very helpful. I also have a friend who owns a diesel Renault and he swears by how helpful and efficient their local dealer is.

Trouble is, a bad reputation is easy to acquire and takes an age to remove. The latest shenanigans with their EV rollout doesn't help. Perhaps the problem is more Renault HQ than the dealers?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 06:39 AM
Eep

Did anyone see Renault's revised Zoe pricing here . . ?

"Renault has launched a new battery hire option for lower mileage retail customers. Available with all new Zoe orders, from 45 per month, when taken over a three-year term, based on 3,000 miles per year, it offers a more cost-effective alternative tailored to those doing shorter journeys on a regular basis."

Wonder if it might trickle down (up?) to potential Fluence owners or anyone renewing their current battery commitment.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 03:06 PM
Banned

You been looking at the Twizy lease prices by accident?

45 a month is more like it though and I hope it does work its way to the Fluence. Keep your eyes peeled for me as I can't be bothered to look

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page