Ecotricity 1000 free EV miles - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Ecotricity 1000 free EV miles

I got an email from this crowd shortly after registering for their (free) RF card - to use Welcome Break recharging posts.

It promises a deal where you prove you have an EV (By sending a copy of your V5C) and you benefit from a lower unit cost for electricity which they equate to the cost of 1,000 miles in a 'typical' EV.

Having crunched the numbers - my current supplier (EDF Blue) is cheaper for everything but daytime electricity, as Ecotricity are 1p KWh cheaper.

Unfortunately they have a standing charge that is double charged by EDF so I'm not tempted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Eep

RE: Ecotricity 1000 free EV miles

Thanks. That's interesting.

I was wondering if it might make sense to switch to a differential tariff to take advantage of the fact I'll be gulping much more electricity overnight, but the suppliers have so muddied their tariffs and requirements (eg British Gas require you to have a credit smart meter installed after 2010 before you can sign up to their Off Peak Saver) that very little of it makes sense any more.

The standing charge nonsense makes things even harder to understand, particularly as there are so few suppliers who do not levy it (and no gas suppliers).

Any views?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 08:52 AM

Energy pricing is all smoke and mirrors, there's little to choose between most.

For me an offpeak tariff makes sense:
1) because the house originally had offpeak central heating installed
2) because I specially bought appliances with timers on them to take advantage
3) because over night slow charging is ideal - go to bed, wake up, done
4) because the price differential/standing charge is paid for by washing/dishwashing

For someone starting from scratch I guess any saving will be miniscule.
Now a Tesla charging overnight really would save!
A good comparison website will provide the answer so long as you can judge what percentage of offpeak you will use.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 10:16 AM
Banned

Ecotricity have gone out of their way to introduce a national charge network that's free to register and free to use. It's something nobody in the World other than Tesla are doing, yet people are happy to use this but not pay 1p a unit extra. lol. It's not subsidised by the Government like the other UK charge networks are.

It's a good free service to help kick start EV ownership yet is not supported by the actual people it's trying to help. They have no big fat cat shareholders, the money goes to the company in the UK and they practice what they preach. To me that extra 50 a year in electricity costs is worthwhile.

Maybe the time has come to make it free only for customers of Ecotricity? Let SSE or EDF customers use their own providers services? (said in humour!)

Just look at all these FREE chargers provided by an independent electric company! Free for your use. Why not actually help support that? They actively try to ensure they're working and not down continually like some of the other networks who get Government support. Don't support the Ecotricity network and one day it might be switched off! Ecotricity are a small company with just over 90,000 customers. It's not a big ask to support them

http://www.ecotricity.co.uk/for-the-...ectric-highway

http://www.ecotricity.co.uk/for-the-...lectricity-car
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william
Now a Tesla charging overnight really would save!
Why's that then? Misconception? Would you drive farther just because you have more range? I've not started driving any of my cars further just because they have a bigger tank!

Night time rates only make sense if, generally, you use little electricity in the day - everyone out to work, etc..

On my experience, if you have a family with school children in it and don't have storage heating, you have to be doing more than around 25,000 miles/year (bear in mind you could have two EVs in the household), for dual rates to begin to make sense.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I don't have storage rads, but using timers use the 00:00-08:30 period for most electricity use except lighting & home entertainment. All my EVs recharge then and the rate is 50% less than the standard tariff - it just makes economic sense.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page