Battery Leases - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Battery Leases

Having just ploughed through the details of my second battery lease, I discovered something rather interesting. I noticed in 'executed copy' of the lease agreement (this is for the battery only, remember) that the sections stating the value of the battery, and that in subsequent years the value falls by 10% per annum. AND the maximum contracted mileage you are allowed.

In both cases, this was blank! Just to make sure, I had a look at my soon-to-be-terminated Twizy lease and discovered it was the same! Can you check yours and see what your actual agreed commitment is?

Assuming I am not alone, then the debate on the write-off value of the battery in case of total loss may be academic, as they have contractually agreed there is none! Since they cannot retrospectively alter it, either we're being royally wound up, or they are being grossly incompetent!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 01:10 PM
Banned

RE: Battery Leases

And even if they wanted to, they'd never be able to try and enforce it as you'd just go to Watchdog or similar.

I think the lease has been imposed from 'above' to Renault UK and they probably know it's detrimental to sales and just don't bother fully.

I am waiting for the day when they give up totally and let you keep the battery.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 05:29 AM

I have my Pre-contract agreement in front of me.

Fixed period of hire 36 months
Under Key Information it states:
Maximum contracted mileage 18000
Hiring excess mileage charge 3.00 for every 60 miles or part thereof for each excess made
Shortened somewhat it also states:
If the agreement ends following a breach you will have to pay:
a) arrears of rentals and other sums due
b) any excess charges AND
c) any compensation/liquidated damages for breach of agreement the total loss of rentals
which would have fallen due between event and end of hire less a discount equal tp 4% per annum
d) damages for any loss we might suffer
e) our costs
f) if you fail to return the battery , a sum equal to its insured value at the time of the event
insured value = amount indicated in your agreement to offset any financial loss
insured value will reduce by 10% each calendar year after the first 12 months

Early termination:
If we agree to early termination there is also an early termination charge
The details of this formula to be applied is described in detail in the document

This agreement is not cancellable.
The consumer credit act 1974 covers this agreement and lays down certain requirements for your
protection which should have been complied with when the agreement was made. If they were
not, we cannot enforce this agreement against you without getting a court order

------------------------------------

Now I have the actual Hire Agreement in front of me:

Fixed period of hire BLANK
Rental figure 76 per month from date of delivery
Key Information:
Max contracted mileage 18000
Excess charge 3.00
Insured value 7137.00
Remember as second owner of a one year old car the insured value will have already been reduced from the original figure. If I add on the 10% depreciation it comes to around 7850 for a new battery. If any of us insure it for less we will be underinsured.

I do recommend anyone with an hour or two to waste and strong constitution to read the full agreement, it contains some decidedly nasty surprises. I'll give you one or two:
1) We accept liability for death or personal injury which results directly from our negligence. Howeve we shall not be liable for any loss or damage which arises from or as a result of any defect in the battery.
2) When selling the vehicle, if the buyer is an individual you must provide us with their name and address. We will sent them an agreement for the battery. Until this is returned signed you will continue to be responsible and must pay the rental charges.

See if you can spot even worse examples.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 06:09 AM
Eep

Hence these cars will only ever be sold back to dealers; hence customers will only ever get poor trade-in values, hence it can't possibly work long term.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 06:49 AM
Banned

2) When selling the vehicle, if the buyer is an individual you must provide us with their name and address. We will sent them an agreement for the battery. Until this is returned signed you will continue to be responsible and must pay the rental charges.

Woah, that's a nasty one!

Sell it on to the new owner and be responsible for the payments until they take it over. Too many worries there. I think Eep has it right.

Though, did any of you see my post about a Zoe being for sale for 21,500? Looks like it might include the battery.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyCabbie

Woah, that's a nasty one!

Though, did any of you see my post about a Zoe being for sale for 21,500? Looks like it might include the battery.
Sell for a price to include what's owed on the battery and pay off RCI. Bet it's in breach of the agreement.

And another point occurs to me. Originally the agreement said that on selling the car the lease was terminated and the new buyer had to take out a new lease. Now it says that the new buyer has to take over the lease - could that be to stop the selling price including the battery. Of course, they're right on this one as you don't own the battery so you can't sell it.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 07:59 AM
Banned

Or being a 2013 63 reg car, with 3,000 miles, it might just include the battery?

Can't imagine Bristol Street Motors attempting to rip anyone off for 7,000. More like the battery is included.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 08:35 AM

All those frustrated by the battery lease should read the article to be found under "Is the Zoe being sold including the battery" in the Zoe general discussion section. I came across it by accident while carrying out a search to see if Zoes really can be bought with battery included. On that point I drew a blank so I guess it's a rumour, no more. It seems the system destroys Zoe's hope of being classed as an affordable company car!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I'm unsure why you believe those 2 clauses are 'nasties' - the contract evaporates after the minimum term, and if you sourced an alternative pack (say) from a scrap merchant there is nothing to say you could not tell them to collect their old one at their convenience. You are then free from any obligation. Sure, if the battery explodes they are trying to cover the potential for losses, however if it did happen, or the circumstances were special enough, any descent lawyer would get the contract condition deemed unreasonable and not as watertight as Renault's lawyers might have first envisaged.

My contract shows the battery value as NIL. Once my payments are complete, assuming things have not changed (and I bet they will) there will be an interesting discussion.

Having now received my Fluence (love it!) I noted it had official Renault UK VRM plates - nice!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 06:34 PM

Interesting.

I have just signed my battery agreement and both the insured value and contractual mileage have been left blank.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page