Ecotricity - End of Type 2 - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Ecotricity - End of Type 2

Just had a disturbing email exchange with Motorway Service Station recharge outfit Ecotricity, who confirm that they have ended installation of all Type 2-compatible equipment, and will going forward ONLY support Rapid chargers.

Existing infrastructure will be swapped out to support BMW i3's and anyone with a T2 requirement will have to go elsewhere.

Is anyone else appalled at this? Sure, it's their sites, but to abandon what is the current standard in the hope that the new one will somehow be 'more popular' seems incredible - after all, if the i3 & VW standard bombs... will these owners be similarly left stranded?

Where's my MP....!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 12:06 PM
Banned

RE: Ecotricity - End of Type 2

The problem with being a pioneer.

The German auto industry is strong in Europe and if they want the new standard to work in Europe, then it will. Whether that's a good thing or not is another matter, but that's the way it works.

But don't the dual standard chargers still allow a Fluence to charge up? Also, the service is free. Are you a customer of Ecotricity? What is their official word on the matter?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Not a customer, but I have their RFID card. Their official word; 'progress' ! I'll add the relevant part of their email in a moment.

"We have no plans to install anymore type 2 7kw on the motorway. This is for 2 reasons the length of time of the charge does not reflect the time people spend at the locations and the fact that thrones we have installed are barely used.

We will be installing CCS enabled units this year but as I am not sure what car you have cannot advise if they are compatable.

As you know the electric highway is costing millions to install and currently makes no money so we have to spend our investment on the technology that is being used by the majority of users."
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 12:23 PM

It doesn't surprise me as I am sure they have had very little use of those, but I doubt they would scrap the existing installations. The Type 2 3-phase fast chargers will still be one of the output options from the fast chargers I am sure, because that is the EU draft standard.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 12:52 PM
Eep

As GC notes the i3 is pretty much sold out. Rightly or wrongly it was always going to be the so-called premium brands from Germany that dictated the way forward for EVs, not least because the path being trodden by the likes of Renault seems to many people to be heading off in a peculiar direction.

If a de facto standard for charging emerges then so much the better for the long term. But I can understand the frustration, even if being an EV pioneer meant that was pretty much par for the course.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 12:53 PM
Banned

lol. You're not a customer and using their service for FREE and complaining they're phasing out charging for your car? Am I hearing this right?

Ring your electric supplier and see if they're providing a service you can use instead?

In support of Ecotricity, why would they be bothered what 62 Fluence owners in the UK think when they're designing their network for the future. The Fluence is a nice car but it isn't the future and it has been a flop. Rumour has it the i3 and the E-up won't be. If you were Ecotricity what would YOU do?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Eep

Well, as donald and I have muttered at some length, a nationwide charging network is crackers anyway. I'd wager that what connectors X or Y supplier are fitting will be irrelevant to the many if not most EV owning commuters (myself for example).
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 01:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eep
Well, as donald and I have muttered at some length, a nationwide charging network is crackers anyway. I'd wager that what connectors X or Y supplier are fitting will be irrelevant to the many if not most EV owning commuters (myself for example).
Yeah but they'd be handy for the odd long run. I mainly drive 80 miles to my parents or 80 miles to the Lake District. Both of those are just obtainable in ideal conditions with no room for a mistake. A fast charger half way on my journey would be great.

Are Fluence ZE owners biased because they don't have a fast charge option? To a Leaf, E-up, iMiev or i3 owner a fast charge station on a motorway could be very very useful.

For a daily commuter it would be no use at all.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 02:55 PM
Eep

If you mainly embark on 80 mile journeys then a Fluence probably isn't at the top of your shopping list.

I'm not sure too much bias comes into things when a 'fast charge' is still a slow charge in anyone's book. Put another way, I don't feel as though I'm missing out one single bit. My car is destined to help me commute, and my ICE cars are destined to take me on round trips that exceed 50 miles.

Still loving the Fluence, by the way. Although I confess the novelty is still making me grin most trips.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyCabbie
lol. You're not a customer and using their service for FREE and complaining they're phasing out charging for your car? Am I hearing this right?

Ring your electric supplier and see if they're providing a service you can use instead?

In support of Ecotricity, why would they be bothered what 62 Fluence owners in the UK think when they're designing their network for the future. The Fluence is a nice car but it isn't the future and it has been a flop. Rumour has it the i3 and the E-up won't be. If you were Ecotricity what would YOU do?
You should add all the other vehicles that need a Mennekes connector to charge - this isn't a Fluence-only issue. Having been a long term EV user, I've seen the dense of the Blue Comando and 13a, if T2 goes the same way, we might as well pack it all in!

I did contact my supplier - and they fitted a connector - funnily enough, it was compatible with my EV. Who would have thought?!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page