Nissan release cost of the Leaf pack at 3,840 inc VAT - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Nissan release cost of the Leaf pack at 3,840 inc VAT

Nissan USA have released the replacement cost of the HV battery for their Leaf. It comes in at 3,840; adjusted to 's and with 20% vat added. Nissan indicate one should also add 3 hours labour to fit.

http://insideevs.com/breaking-nissan...-heat-durable/

Peviously on here I've been ostracised because I dared to question the Renault battery lease. How dare I when I'm not an owner. lol.

But why pay a minimum of 70 per month (840 pa) on an open ended agreement, causing issues with vehicle value on the second hand market as well as putting off many many potential customers, when you can buy the car and the battery out right and know that if the battery does fail outside of warranty, it will cost about 5,000 all in. Much less than the fuel cost would have been in all that time.

Considering there are reports of the Nissan Leaf running well past 100,000 miles with little capacity loss, one really has to question Renaults total insistence on battery lease.

I love the look of the Fluence and the Zoe has potential, but sales are shocking. Why? Because few want the noose of an open ended agreement around their necks. Next year the Fluence is 5 years old. Who is going to pay nearly a grand a year for a battery to run a 5 years old Renault? Members and enthusiasts on here will, but I bet you'll have trouble trading the car in or selling it privately. I've had a quick scan on the forum today and noticed that Motorpoint won't accept the Fluence. How many others are like that.

So come on Renault, do the decent thing and give owners the option of buying your cars outright and leave the option of battery lease for those who prefer it. That way everyone is happy and you'll sell some cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 06:59 AM
Eep

RE: Nissan release cost of the Leaf pack at 3,840 inc VAT

Quote:
Next year the Fluence is 5 years old. Who is going to pay nearly a grand a year for a battery to run a 5 years old Renault?
This is something that regularly crops up in discussion. We have not become any less aware of the pitfalls of leasing batteries during your hiatus

It is interesting to see some concrete evidence of the battery's value and in addition give some validity to my previously stated belief that the Fluence's actively cooled packs should last longer.

donald: want to take the statement from Nissan to Renault with me?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

It might as well be Nissan Japan for all the good it will do UK users. It's still one heck of a price to pay for a 'replacement' with no indication if this is an exchange price (most likely) than a one-off purchase price.

I was at the Sunderland plant last month and saw Leafs coming off the production line, and whilst they let me see the motor being assembled, they wouldn't agree to showing how the battery was put together!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Banned

The article indicated that it was subject to exchange of the 'old' pack from the car which they valued at $1,000. Apparently because they can reuse the cells in their '4R Energy' business. A backup system for houses to utilise their solar PV in reserve.

It might as well be the moon for all the good it will do Fluence owners. What I was showing was that the 24 kwh (not 22kwh as previously stated) costs 4k, not 8k as indicated by Renault or 15k indicated by Jeremy Clarkson. But a very affordable 4,000, and that's after I've added 20% vat.

So one has to question why owners of a Fluence who can be paying 109 pm or 1,300 pa for an average 15,000 miles pa when a battery can be had for 4,000.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Because the battery is only part of the deal? I'm getting 'free' recovery whilst I continue to pay for the battery use following the expiry of the 4+ deal. As I said before your hiatus, the price I paid for the Fluence remains a steal. I get comments when recharging that they think the car looks stunning and is not as ugly as it's contemporaries - especially the Leaf!

Even with 5 years battery hire factored in, I'm still ahead, and Renault may yet still abandon the current concept for us and Zoe owners - so if I was holding off pending a change, the ship would have sailed.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 02:03 PM
Eep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyCabbie
So one has to question why owners of a Fluence who can be paying 109 pm or 1,300 pa for an average 15,000 miles pa when a battery can be had for 4,000.
Because if you were in the market for an EV a few months back, an effectively new Fluence could have been yours for 6K. That makes it significantly cheaper than any rival, though effectively without a battery - the battery being an additional cost that is spread over your ownership of the car.

I don't much care for it, but with the cost of my car factored in to the equation it remains a clean, quiet, reliable, practical, inexpensive and above all enjoyable vehicle to own.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 02:17 PM

GC, no-one ostracised you about the battery rental. You are entitled to your opinion, we just didn't agree with most of your opinion! Clearly, we sympathise but we went ahead with it so it doesn't look so bad to us.

This figure of 4k or whatever sounds like a loss-leader to me, or at least absolutely 'at-cost'. Battery packs aren't that cheap yet and they certainly aren't going to make a profit on selling battery packs at that price. Other EV builders will be trying to buy those packs just to strip them for the modules at that price and I am sure they will be promptly turned away if they don't have a Leaf. That's primarily why they want the return, so Leaf owners can't go buy up battery packs and sell them on.

Nissan need to do this to convince buyers the Leaf is a good future prospect. It certainly works for me - an EV with a fixed price 4k battery pack, if you need one after 8 years, sure works for me.

So... it's a sales pitch as far as I think at the moment, 'til I see something to the contrary. Leaf buyers will be paying for these packs in other ways (i.e. purchase price) without knowing it.

The Fluence battery is a more complex beast with cooling systems and quick-swap features. Obviously the latter are unimportant for us, and the former seems a bit of an efficiency liability in hot weather! But at least it is there, when Leaf batteries die in the hot.

Renault have no need to consider selling packs for Fluence at least, seeing as they are not selling any now. They can carry on receiving their revenue from us. Besides it is not 'Renault' but 'RCI' and they have little comprehension of what is happening at the road-side. All they see is a 9k price put into their system by Renault, and a small group of people paying a pm figure for it. The substance of that thing is immaterial to them. It is just a finance-commodity.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 06:00 PM
Eep

At 77 per month the three year duration of the battery agreement is not sufficient to cover the cost of the battery, which in a way is reassuring. It would mean though that after four years of battery leasing the amount you will have paid will exceed the cost of the unit, and with the car's value at that point likely to be less than the cost of the battery also, the prospects for long term ownership aren't all that clear.

But by that time comes around, I dare say Renault's strategy on EVs and battery leases will have changed, particularly if the Norwegian model (where the dealer network refused to sell the company's electric cars unless the battery was included in the sticker price) has proven successful for them.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page