How does the accessory battery charge - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

How does the accessory battery charge

[size=small]basic question maybe, but the fact of the matter is that it eludes me. Has the accessory battery constantly got a feed from the traction battery, or is there an alternator involved. I'm considering getting hold of nice little 12volt/240 volt condenser fridge/cool-box for my camping trips, and am trying to work out the best way to power it from my car. If it is feed from the traction battery, is it only when the car is switched on or something else? If everything works out I've actually already got a small 12 volt microwave that might come in handy also. I'd love someone to please enlighten me. Excuse me, my name's Jamie and I recently acquired my Fluence, and I love everything about it and will not be returning to the Dark Side, ice wise.[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 03:43 PM

RE: How does the accessory battery charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
[size=small]basic question maybe, but the fact of the matter is that it eludes me. Has the accessory battery constantly got a feed from the traction battery, or is there an alternator involved. I'm considering getting hold of nice little 12volt/240 volt condenser fridge/cool-box for my camping trips, and am trying to work out the best way to power it from my car. If it is feed from the traction battery, is it only when the car is switched on or something else? If everything works out I've actually already got a small 12 volt microwave that might come in handy also. I'd love someone to please enlighten me. Excuse me, my name's Jamie and I recently acquired my Fluence, and I love everything about it and will not be returning to the Dark Side, ice wise.[/size]
Hi Jamie

The 12volt battery is charged from the traction battery with a Dc to Dc converter when the ignition key is switched on or when the car is plugged in and charging. One issue I've noticed with my car is that the traction battery cooling fans which use a 12 volt supply, will switch on around 28 degrees but do not switch off when the temperature is reduced running unnecessarily for hours and hours wasting power. So In that situation I don't think the 12volt battery will recharge much. Also the auxiliary power sockets only have a 12v supply when the ignition key is turned. It might be safer to run an auxiliary battery or solar panels or both to power you're cool box and microwave as if they discharge the cars battery below 12v the main contactors for the traction battery will not open so the car will not be able to access this battery.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Maassarani,
Your insight is much appreciated. I guess an auxiliary battery is the way to go. Do you think it might be possible to run a pair of wires from the cars 12 volt battery to the auxiliary, and connect manually when needed,so that it also could get a charge?
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
Thanks Maassarani,
Your insight is much appreciated. I guess an auxiliary battery is the way to go. Do you think it might be possible to run a pair of wires from the cars 12 volt battery to the auxiliary, and connect manually when needed,so that it also could get a charge?
Hi Jamie
Yes I guess, to be safe and not cause any issues with Renault voiding your warranty or car insurance, I suggest to adapt one of those jumper cable battery leads that connect two cars via the auxiliary sockets with one side connected directly to the auxiliary 12v battery terminals . 20 quid on Ebay uk ( car to car emergency jump start battery booster cigarette socket) That way there will be no modifications to your car and you can also monitor when the auxiliary battery is charged with the little led's display on the cable plug. Although this will only have a power supply when the ignition key is turned so will also save accidentally flattering the cars 12v battery.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page