No timer, or %age limiter, charging. :( - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

No timer, or %age limiter, charging. :(

[from another thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauledg
I used a 10A cable as this is cheaper than using the wall charger - the wall charger almost completes the charge at full price before the offpeak hour arrives. Remember the car and charger neither have any means of timing the charge, a big minus point. Woke up to find email saying battery charged to 100%, range 105.6 miles, and the light on the charge cable still indicating charging ongoing; this went out after another hour so what it was doing during that hour I don't know. I've noticed previously that the charging light suggests charge goes on for a lot longer than predicted. If the charge really does complete earlier then I'll have to plug in via an accessory timer so charging begins at 12.30 to ensure best value.
Yeah. Dead right. Very miserable that there is no charge timer option.

I think this is something we could hassle Renault to do a software update for, surely?

I don't have off-peak. I did a few calcs and I don't think the extra monthly premium off-sets the benefits, in my case, because we seem to get through a fair bit of juice in the day time (when the rate would be otherwise higher).

The other thing, of course, is that having a flat rate means you can 'happily' plug in at any time convenient to yourself, and not get anal about only charging up at night.

My main reason for wanting to time charging is to avoid charging the battery to 100%. LMO battery life is much extended if charging dithers around the 50% mark all the time, than undergoing excursions to the limits.

...and the other thing (still to be experienced) is that the book says the pre-heater facility ONLY works once the battery is charged to 100%.

BAH! So if I need a quick charge for a trip, but wouldn't reach 100% in the time I have to do the recharge, I can't turn the heating on!! How STUPID is that!? Instead, we have to charge the battery up, then heat the car up on the battery once it is disconnected! What a waste of energy!

The other other thing is that when it is cold, it is good to be charging just before the car is used, because there is residual heat generated during charging that will aid the battery performance. But, oh no!!, Renault have decided 'no timer' and to charge the battery up early. It then goes cold over night and you end up with a fully charged, but cold, battery when you could just have easily had a fully charged WARM battery.

That being said, I am equally dismayed that the wall charger isn't fitted with a little timer. For 1300 (or whatever they are charging the Gov for the privilege of fitted me out with one), surely a 2 timer circuit would be a trivial inclusion?

....Maybe I could make my own little rotary actuator that rotates the key at a given time of my choice??!! That's a thought!....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Banned

RE: No timer, or %age limiter, charging. :(

Offpeak makes sense to me as the house came with electric central heating via offpeak and though that's long gone I've kept offpeak for the water heating. The timing thing gets me mad. british Gas can't supply a unit with charger, but I bet they could add one to the circuit for a vastly inflated fee!

I know we're early adopters and supposed to put up with glitches, but surely the designers had their brains plugged in? I wonder whether Leaf owners have their own set of gripes.....

On a positive note, I understand (though I can't remember who said it) that the battery circuitry is designed so at 100% charge the battery is NOT fully charged, hence no instruction from Renault to avoid charging to 100% as per Nissan's advice.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 04:27 PM
Banned

But the Fluence can make 100+ miles per charge; something a Leaf driver can only but dream of.

You'd imagine the same engineers were on the same project but maybe not.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 03:36 AM
Banned

The French cooperate with other nations? Surely not. However in this case Renault either have better engineers or, more likely, they have decided to trade off performance for economy. Certainly the Leaf is faster accelerating. The other surprise is that the Fluence, which is large, heavy and surely not designed with aerodynamics in mind, does so well range-wise. It makes me think all this advertising garbage about airflow, funny headlight covers and shiny paint on wing mirrors is just that, advertising garbage that has negligible effect. And since when did streamlining really work at the sort of speeds we are talking about in one of these cars?

There is another possibility that I almost hate to mention. Maybe Fluences are bought by old fuddyduddy farts who crawl around at 20mph holding up Clarkson's caravans, while the pretty-pretty Leaf sprouting trees out of its electro dash is bought by real men?

There, that should get everyone going!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyCabbie
You'd imagine the same engineers were on the same project but maybe not.
Very little in common between the two.

Even the electric motors are different technology. Nissan use permanent magnet motors and Renault use DC excited motors. That design choice means most of the system is going to be different.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

I expect there would [must've] been some crossover on the battery tech, because the batteries come from the same Nissan-Renault alliance.

However, the ZE drivetrain is all from Continental, who, afaik, had nothing to do with the Leaf.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 08:23 AM
Banned

And, I believe, nothing to do with the Zoe, I understand the motor is now French sourced - and has the charger built into it? I suppose that means the Fluence charging will never get upgraded to match the Zoe.

Anyone fancy the BMS i3, launched yesterday? What a looker!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald
I expect there would [must've] been some crossover on the battery tech, because the batteries come from the same Nissan-Renault alliance.

They were using batteries from the same manufacturer. Not sure if the cells are identical.

[hr]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauledg
And, I believe, nothing to do with the Zoe, I understand the motor is now French sourced - and has the charger built into it? I suppose that means the Fluence charging will never get upgraded to match the Zoe.
Zoe's chameleon charger uses the motor's field coils as part of the charging circuit. There is nothing in the Fluence's basic design that would prevent Renault from doing this in an updated Fluence. The updated Kangoo was supposed to get the chameleon charger, but Renault quietly dropped it.

A retrofit isn't going to happen.

Quote:
Anyone fancy the BMS i3, launched yesterday? What a looker!
I've been posting about it in another forum. Might copy a few things over here.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 04:52 AM

I split the i3 discussion into a new thread ----> https://www.renaultzeforum.com/forums/Thread-BMW-i3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page