2013 Fluence ZE - Any thoughts? - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Banned

2013 Fluence ZE - Any thoughts?

Just seen the 2013 Fluence ZE and it looks good. A similar front end to the Zoe and looks a more modern car. I wonder if it'll make it to the UK in RHD form?

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...-for-the-books
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 09:07 AM

RE: 2013 Fluence ZE - Any thoughts?

IAA Franfurt starts 12 September. Renault should have the updated Fluence there.

It will be interesting to see if Fluence gets the Chameleon rapid charger or looses the battery quick change.

Kangoo was suppose to get rapid charging but Renault quietly dropped it.

The automotive press are bound be blinded by the i3s driving figure 8's around the i8 in the BMW-i booth. Might have to search hard to find out anything about Renault.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Banned

But is is planned in RHD? Doesn't look like they sold many original versions but the new one does look smart.

If they do sell it in the UK/Ireland, will it get rid of battery leasing or are Renault doggedly sticking to it?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 05:48 AM

I have no idea if Renault will continue to offer Fluence in the UK.

I have seen no indication that they will be changing battery models either. They could change at any time.

Renault might give out some information in the days leading up to IAA Frankfurt.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie
I have no idea if Renault will continue to offer Fluence in the UK.

I have seen no indication that they will be changing battery models either. They could change at any time.

Renault might give out some information in the days leading up to IAA Frankfurt.
Anyone know on total UK Fluence sales? I know there were about 60 last year but I've not seen anything to confirm sales this year. Anyone hazard a guess why sales are poor? The Leaf is selling well(ish) but the Fluence just doesn't seem to.

Personally I like it and I really like the look of the 2013 version. I don't like the battery lease (though I know some do).
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 03:37 AM
Banned

No sales figures for the UK but up to April this year worldwide sales were a mere 3487 cars including 2047 in Europe. More details on Wikipedia. Pathetic figures by any standards! I suspect in the UK at least sales will be hampered by the battery lease arrangement: I had fun yesterday trying to explain the implications of this to my insurer.

With regard to the face change I have got used to the original and like the fact that the ZE version is unique. Has anyone seen pictures of the new version's rear? Does it have the ZE light units or has it reverted to the ICE version's? I find it hard to believe that with such pathetic sales Renault would spend yet more money modifying the bodywork - good money after bad comes to mind.

Another worrying thought. I have it good authority from a main dealer that they are finding the Zoe generating even less interest than the Fluence. Wow!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauledg
Another worrying thought. I have it good authority from a main dealer that they are finding the Zoe generating even less interest than the Fluence. Wow!

What are Renault like for feedback? Are they blissfully ignorant to people not liking or even wanting the battery lease? Sure it might work for some, but the added complications it gives (insurance being one) just negate any benefits such as not having to worry about the battery going south.

With Toyota they send a survey after pretty much every time I've been into the dealers. Anything that is below 8/10 goes against the dealers and if they get more than a few reports of such feedback, they lose certain discounts. As such, the dealers fall over backwards to ensure the customer is happy and any issues with the car are reported back - even more so since all that recall nonsense with Toyota in 2010.

So do Renault offer anything similar or is it a case of "This is our car and the way we do it. If you don't like, then go buy another car"?

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 09:30 AM

As of Q1 2013 Howmanyleft shows 63 licensed for on road use and another 6 on SORN. I'd guess some or all of the 6 on SORN were from the Renault press fleet.

http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=?&q=Renault+Fluence

Kangoo Z.E. is about 300 on the road and one on SORN. Overall, I think Kangoo is the best of the four Z.E. vehicles. But you have to want a van. Came close to buying one but decided it was too expensive.

[hr]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyCabbie

What are Renault like for feedback?
I sent in an email and got a call back within 24 hours. Had a nice 15 minute chat. Person I talked to said she would pass my comments and concerns up to management. I'm sure she did but I have no idea what happened after that.

I've directly contacted Renault, BMW and Mazda with questions and feedback. All responded. I have to say that Renault did the best job with communication, but I doubt anything is going to change as a result of the call.

Mazda was a simple query and they emailed me back in about a week with a good answer.

BMW North America always responded very quickly but they usually referred me to a local dealer. BMW NA used to post on bimmerfest, but they stopped years ago.

We had an issue/question with BMW UK that eventually escalated to engineers in Germany. A Dealer handled that. BMW UK wasn't about to let me talk directly to the people that designed the car.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page