Asda Chargemaster Posts - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

Asda Chargemaster Posts

Hi Guys

I am now the proud owner of a 12 plate Fluence. Just waiting to get couple of wee bits of paint tidied up before I collect.

I need to bring the car home some 300 miles

I intend to do this though the Asda charge points network

The question I have is;

Has anyone had any experience of these (good and bad). And is the charge lead you get with the Fluence compatible with these posts. My local Asda has a 3kw and a 7kw socket ( I assume it is the 3kW for the Fluence).

I also looked at the CYC network but the chargemaster looks better for my route.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 07:30 AM

RE: Asda Chargemaster Posts

Congratulations (if that is in order!!). I hope it works out for you.

Unfortunately, a 300 mile drive won't work out so well. It'll be either a two day drive for you, or a very long one day drive.

If you drive exceedingly carefully you can get 120 miles out of it... real careful!! 300 mile means there is no point attempting more than 100 miles at a time. You will need to recharge for 6 to 7 hours for each of the next 100 miles. You could pick up early, say 8 AM, get to your first point and plug in by 10AM, ready charged for 5PM. The the next 100 miles to a hotel that offers a charge point, start charging at 8PM, ready for the morning. That's about the only way I can see you can do that.

If you've got a friend at either of your 100 mile locations, you could blag an overnight on their couch and have a 12 hour recharge from the 3-pin lead, if you have one.

You will still have to drive exceedingly carefully for each 100 miles, no heating nor a/c, and I can't say if you happen to have a car with a battery with a lower capacity (that Paul's and mine seem to be, which seem to be that we have the full 22 ish kWh).

It might be better to ask for, or arrange for, delivery.

What was your deal? I presume one of the recent £8k cars? I think I suggested before to make transportation home of the car one of the deal-breakers for the dealership, if anyone is brave enough to try a Fluence. That should be a no-cost for them if they time it for when their transporters are available, or at max an 'at cost' expense to them, so I can't imagine they'd really refuse. Did you buy, or get a hire-purchase?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 08:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricdream

The question I have is;

Has anyone had any experience of these (good and bad). And is the charge lead you get with the Fluence compatible with these posts. My local Asda has a 3kw and a 7kw socket ( I assume it is the 3kW for the Fluence).
Good luck - you'll need it.

From what I've read, charge points in supermarkets work on an honour system, in that you rely on the good nature of fellow motorists not to park in the EV charge bay. ha ha ha ha, good luck with that. A prime parking bay right up near the door is prime pickings. If people don't give a **** about parking in a disabled bay, they're not going to care if they park in an EV bay.

Classic chicken n egg stuff though as the supermarkets let people do this as "nobody ever uses the charge bays", but nobody uses them as there's always a non EV parked in them. The supermarket got their 'green' photo opportunity when the bays were fitted and now they don't care less.

You might have been better to have got the car transported nearer your home for a nominal fee - even if you had to wait a week or so.

Good luck though and let us all know how you get on with the car. I'm hoping to hear from a dealer about one myself.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald
Congratulations (if that is in order!!). I hope it works out for you.

Unfortunately, a 300 mile drive won't work out so well. It'll be either a two day drive for you, or a very long one day drive.

If you drive exceedingly carefully you can get 120 miles out of it... real careful!! 300 mile means there is no point attempting more than 100 miles at a time. You will need to recharge for 6 to 7 hours for each of the next 100 miles. You could pick up early, say 8 AM, get to your first point and plug in by 10AM, ready charged for 5PM. The the next 100 miles to a hotel that offers a charge point, start charging at 8PM, ready for the morning. That's about the only way I can see you can do that.

If you've got a friend at either of your 100 mile locations, you could blag an overnight on their couch and have a 12 hour recharge from the 3-pin lead, if you have one.

You will still have to drive exceedingly carefully for each 100 miles, no heating nor a/c, and I can't say if you happen to have a car with a battery with a lower capacity (that Paul's and mine seem to be, which seem to be that we have the full 22 ish kWh).

It might be better to ask for, or arrange for, delivery.

What was your deal? I presume one of the recent £8k cars? I think I suggested before to make transportation home of the car one of the deal-breakers for the dealership, if anyone is brave enough to try a Fluence. That should be a no-cost for them if they time it for when their transporters are available, or at max an 'at cost' expense to them, so I can't imagine they'd really refuse. Did you buy, or get a hire-purchase?
Got my route planned out. i only had the confidence I could do it after reading this forum. I am planning on it taking me 2 days. First Leg 67.5. Second leg 93.3. Third leg 71.3. Last Leg 84.2. At least the first leg will give me a good insight into whether I am on the button or not. 52 mph all the way ventilation off.

It was one of the £8000 cars. i was watching the price come down over the last few months and thought the may not go any lower. They are starting to shift now I think. I purchased outright. Dealer would not move an inch. I was quoted £800 to deliver. I have a Renault dealer 2 mins from my house as well. I would be happy at £8k delivered, but I was really at the top of my budget.

[hr]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyCabbie
Quote:

The question I have is;

Good luck - you'll need it.

From what I've read, charge points in supermarkets work on an honour system, in that you rely on the good nature of fellow motorists not to park in the EV charge bay. ha ha ha ha, good luck with that. A prime parking bay right up near the door is prime pickings. If people don't give a **** about parking in a disabled bay, they're not going to care if they park in an EV bay.

Classic chicken n egg stuff though as the supermarkets let people do this as "nobody ever uses the charge bays", but nobody uses them as there's always a non EV parked in them. The supermarket got their 'green' photo opportunity when the bays were fitted and now they don't care less.

You might have been better to have got the car transported nearer your home for a nominal fee - even if you had to wait a week or so.

Good luck though and let us all know how you get on with the car. I'm hoping to hear from a dealer about one myself.

Yep I have seen the abuse of the parking bays myself. I don't mind having to hang about waiting for a space. Shouldn't be a issue with my overnight run. Daytime could be an issue I agree, but can only try.

Anybody used them?

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 01:16 PM

You can always go into the customer service and ask them to announce for the car driver to come find his car. They will usually come running, thinking it has been crunched.

Depending how desperate you are, you could find someone to drive a second car with you, and when you get low on charge just use the other car to give the Fluence a fast charge. Can't say I would ever want to try that myself, but up to you!

So, did you buy through Renault, or get one of the Motorpoint offerings? Was hire purchase an option, or did they rule it out? Just curious ... interested to see how this is going to pan out at the end of my own HP term and, of course, I always wonder if I got the best deal I could have got.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 01:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
So, did you buy through Renault, or get one of the Motorpoint offerings? Was hire purchase an option, or did they rule it out? Just curious ... interested to see how this is going to pan out at the end of my own HP term and, of course, I always wonder if I got the best deal I could have got.
I enquired about one of the Motorpoint cars and wasn't totally impressed with them - cliché motordealers "how much can you afford per month sir?" and all that nonsense. "You tell me your best deal and I'll tell you if I'm ok with it" . Also cheesed that the 810 mile one had gone. They were not able to offer PCP and the HP company they used didn't like the Fluence having a battery owned by Renault. They were going to check with their various HP companies and call me back. Three days later......nothing.

Renault on the other hand told me there was a mistake with the PCP figures quoted 6 weeks ago and that they're no longer available, but they'd check and call me. Three days later and no cal eitherl, so I'll assume it's a no no.

Perhaps it's a sign?

Fun n games.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 02:20 PM

I had a similar experience, at first. Called the local Renault when I saw the 9k Fluences come up and I said something to the effect of 'So these aren't selling very well, then? Are they going to stay at 9k' - something prescient like that!!

Anyhow, the reply was along the lines of 'oh, we've had lots of enquiries, easy to sell' etc.. So I though " ", well, you know what I would've though to that kind of response ...

An enquiry isn't a bite and I didn't bother progressing that.

A week later saw the offers Croydon were advertising and actually agreed to buy there, and did a deal over the phone. But tried the local again and got a completely different reply, matching and actually exceeding the original. The distance being important, I changed dealer-allegiances.

I think the best line [to get a good deal on any car] is to say 'I have put a deposit down elsewhere .. have I made a mistake, can you better it?' [even if that's only, really, expressing an intent]. This gives a clear indication you're talking about putting up real money.

This is just the shambles of British salesmanship - very poor. A salesman should be good enough to convince you that even if he doesn't give you the best deal, you'd still be better off buying from him, and you'll thank him after the deal. I don't get that anymore. Salesmanship in Britain is dead, in [IMHO] any sector of commerce. Instead, it seems these days the consumer has to persuade the salesman to allow them to buy something! And you takes your choice - do you want to press on and try to get that thing, or do you say " ".
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You can always go into the customer service and ask them to announce for the car driver to come find his car. They will usually come running, thinking it has been crunched.

Depending how desperate you are, you could find someone to drive a second car with you, and when you get low on charge just use the other car to give the Fluence a fast charge. Can't say I would ever want to try that myself, but up to you!

Bought through Renault. Hire purchase was never on the table as I always buy my cars outright. Change them about every 4 years. Don't like to take finance on a car. Of course I'll be miffed if they continue to drop the price but £8k was the price point that made me go for it. Annoyed that I couldn't knock them down but i suppose as there are not that many around I couldn't just go to another dealer and get one. Don't know how much competition there is between branches for a sale that may have been my only option. Not a risk I wanted to take as I was keen to get one.

Anybody be able to confirm that the fluence charging lead ok for the chargemaster posts please!!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Anybody be able to confirm that the fluence charging lead ok for the chargemaster posts please!!
A standard Type 2 lead should be supplied with the car. This is standard now.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 08:09 AM
Banned

Isn't life lovely!

After reading these posts I tried checking up on the Asda posts (never did find the answer) but did discover that the Chargemaster card, normally £10. was available for the asking. I filled in the online form and waited for a call to take payment which duly arrived this morning. A charming voice asked if I had a Chargemaster wall unit. "Yes", said I and discovered that the card would be FREE. All I needed to do was contact British Gas, the installer, who had not passed my details onto Chargemaster.

The 0800 number was at least free, but my time isn't. Ten minutes of music before it was answered, ten more minutes while they ferreted around looking for my details and failing. Then they decided I needed to ring a different number but they would do this for me. Another five minutes of music and finally.......THEY CUT ME OFF!

Back to Chargemaster to whom I was able to give the unit serial number off the paperwork I had. "That can't be", she said, "that's not a correct number. Then off to the sideway to grovel on the floor trying to read the number off the bottom of the unit. Same number! "Don't know what unit they've supplied", "it's not on our list of model numbers", she said - now I'm starting to get worried.

I opted out of any more involvement in this matter and handed the reins to the lady on the phone. I wish her luck. The FREE card will be in the post to me tomorrow. Yippee. Hope their posts suit the car......... and the car can find the posts?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page