Noises that the Fluence makes!! - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Noises that the Fluence makes!!

OK, so now we have a 'statistically significant' sample of three ( ):

I've commented on how the reduction gear whine can get 'quite loud' in my Fluence, particularly when accelerating in the 40~50 mile range above 20 kW applied power. Do others think this too?

'Quite loud' is, obviously, relative - it's about the same as the pinion whine from the DP0 auto boxes on my other Renault cars, but when there are no other noises such things become more prominent.

The other noise I have slowly 'tuned into' is a motor noise between 20 and 40 mph. When I say 'motor noise', it is, I'm sure, the actual traction motor's rotor turning over. This will be a combination of bearings, inverter/electrical magnetostriction in the coils, and whatever else it is attached to. It sounds to me to simply be the noise of a motor 'doing its thing' at 2 to 5,000 rpm or so, and that's hardly surprising because there's a 70kW motor just in front of me doing just that!! But it does become quite prominent if you are on a quiet road surface, and especially when decelerating (regenerating) as you pass through 30 mph or so.

I don't think there is any issue with the motor, as I can't hear it once over 40 mph. I guess they have tuned the NVH of the motor so that any latent resonances at higher speeds are avoided, or that the road noise, even on quiet tarmac, then exceeds this noise.

I did notice this motor noise when I first drove the car back from the dealer, and wondered what it was then, but didn't really 'hear' it until I listened more carefully to the sounds in the car. It is funny that sometimes until you've heard a noise (amongst other sounds), you don't hear it until you specifically listen out for it again!

Anyhow, can you chaps hear the traction motor spinning around at 20 to 40 mph? It might sound all like road noise when you first try to listen out for it, which is usually louder than that sound unless you are on quiet tarmac.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Banned

RE: Noises that the Fluence makes!!

I'm not the person to ask this as my ears are not what they used to be - at least I'm not deafened by my new Bandit 1200 toy as I ring its neck! To me the Fluence's noise is there if I try to listen to it, a very subdued whine in the background when all is quiet, I quite like it, it tells me I'm moving. I've not detected any particular change at speed or decelerating, but now you've mentioned it again I shall listen out as I go out this afternoon.

CORRECTION - having risked life and limb concentrating on noises rather than the road I can report that my car makes a WHOOSH., not a whine, and it's very hard to hear except on the smoothest of road surfaces.

Has anyone lifted the bonnet yet to see what's under there?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Looks like a regular engine, just with orange cables coming out of it.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 03:16 AM
Banned

Looks like a regular engine? How boring, I was hoping for something out of Star Wars.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Banned

lol with streaming led's round the edge or a pulsing light in the center like off star trek?

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 03:55 AM
Banned

Oh God no! Perhaps I'll stick with no frills and a smug look as I drive along looking at all those approaching cars with their daytime driving lights reminding me of a tacky xmas tree!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauledg
I can report that my car makes a WHOOSH., not a whine, and it's very hard to hear except on the smoothest of road surfaces.
Is your woosh loudest around 35mph-ish, and not really audible <20 and >50?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauledg
Oh God no! Perhaps I'll stick with no frills and a smug look as I drive along looking at all those approaching cars with their daytime driving lights reminding me of a tacky xmas tree!
Oh I hate those too. I meant strobing leds around the 'engine' itself under the bonnet.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 03:54 AM
Banned

Donald, I blame you! Since I've been listening out for your whine you've turned me into a noise fetishist, now I hear creaks and groans and fear the whole thing's about to disintegrate before my eyes. Just be satisfied that all you've got is a whine. I used to have a Hillman Minx convertible and carrying around a very elderly lady in the back she always arrived at her destination with a grin on her face, saying the car sang to her throughout the journey.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

Sorry!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page