When will it end? Fluences at £7,500 on Autotrader today - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Banned

When will it end? Fluences at £7,500 on Autotrader today

A couple of Fluences for £7,499 on Autotrader today. When will this all end? Saying that, my experience is that they're struggling to find finance companies prepared to lend. Appreciate that doesn't mean nobody will lend, but Lloyds and Close are two big ones and they won't lend because of the battery lease.

Wish that £90 PIP lease deal was still there Sigh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 06:44 PM

RE: When will it end? Fluences at £7,500 on Autotrader today

At 7.5k I think I would have preferred to buy - especially as it is somewhat now a more 'known' quantity.

'Back in the old days' [read, three months ago!] I'd still heard no-one comment on the car, a complete unknown. Monthly payments with an option to hand the car back seemed a no-brainer at the time.

At this rate, it will only have worked out 'cheaper' if I can get Renault to agree to sell the car back to me at £5k in a year's time after I hand the car back at the end of the term. That's going to be a test of buyer-seller brinkmanship - if it turns out I actually want to keep it, I will be handing the car back not really knowing if I can secure a deal to get it back again. There again, we, any of us, have yet to see a winter through and we still face the prospect of battery degradations in the future. It's still not a given that I'd even want it for 5k!!...

I guess the best route would be to see if Renault will re-finance in a manner that will result in the same rate, so just carry on with the monthly payments as they are. Who can say how reliable or unreliable these things will be in the future with 'real' miles on the clock?

I still worry about the motor noise I can hear at ~35mph. Should I be hearing that? Can't hear it at higher speeds, could it be the first signs of bearing-wear related resonances? I've no idea, and that's half the problem ... I've no idea !

And I've not worried about range yet, but I am not immune to concerns. As you know, I've already achieved over 120 miles on a 'real' motorway trip. But it's not even cold yet and on my 45 mile commute I can easily use up 6 octals of 8 if I have the heater and lights on and drive anything more than 'saintly'. So, now imagine the battery degrades to 75% capacity!! Ah! I'd not even be able to make it to work and back, 45 miles, and keep the heater on! Really!? How much is that sort of car worth to me?

Nothing is a given yet. I agree range is an issue still. The one thing in its favour is that it is, by far, the most sublime drive you can currently get in UK in a commercially available BEV. Limited as it is in several respects, it would not simply be whether the car works out OK for me, but whether I would really want to go back to an ICE car. Putting liquid fuel into a car now seems so passé and antiquated! It's just like people were doing 100 years ago. Time to move on.

When the Tesla S arrives in the UK, there is going to be some serious rethinking of EVs, I reckon. It'll take a decade or so for that level of range and performance to reach family-affordable levels, if it does at all, but the tech is viable now. The rest is down to whether the VMs sell at an affordable price, and if the public put up real money for them. They have to sell in bulk for a given performance level to be found at an affordable price.
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 04:52 AM

It was at the £8k point I decided to buy. Nothing to do with wanting to be green or anything, purely about saving money.

I was looking to change my car (which I do about every 4 years). I was looking for a family saloon or hatchback diesel. Quite liked the Vauxhall Insignia. My budget was £10k. Locally, I can pick up a 12 plate Insignia with 15k miles on the clock for £12285. I NEVER take finance on my cars so I would have needed to have taken an older Insignia.

Came across the Fluence (only electric car that fitted the family saloon bill). With £100 a month battery rental the Fluence will have cost me £8000+£3600 = £11600 after 3 years. So although the battery lease is finance as such, I really regard it as the 'fuel' I would have to have put in a diesel car anyhow, so the rental plus the electricity come to the same amount as the fuel really.

The only point I will lose out is when I come to sell the Fluence. The Insignia may be worth about £5k after 4 years the Fluence may be worth NOTHING, nobody knows.

Although I have to agree with Donald the Fluence is a sublime driving experience, something you can get in no other car for £8k (or now £7.5k) of your hard earned.
post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 08:20 AM

Sounds very similar to my motivations - I was getting bored with my ultra-reliable 53mpg Vectra and just wanted a change... How else was I to afford a 1 year old car with only 2,000 miles on it?

I have some professional involvement with electric car research too, so this was just added interest really.
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 04:44 AM
Banned

If the cars drop any lower I'm going to be well pissed off, as it is I paid not far short of double the going rate. And I thought I had got a real bargain!

But I do like it.
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Yeah but you were one of the first.I nearly bought one NEW!
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 08:36 AM

bear in mind that, in reality, an 8K car with an 8k battery is a 16k car.

When new, it was a 25k car, with the battery.

~35% depreciation in 18 months? Sounds fairly typical to me ....

I'm still wondering if I could've got a better deal if I had waited a few months, but the option to hand back and walk away in a year's time is worth something in itself, I guess.
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 10:17 AM
Banned

When will it end? Maybe it has already.

The postie's just been and dropped a glossy Renault brochure on the mat from Marshalls Renault. Opening it up I see it covers all current car models and emphasizes Renault's links to Formula One.

All that is, except the Fluence which is notable by its absence. So I guess that's it. No more. Gone. Either that or someone at Renault's stuck the knife in.
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauledg
When will it end? Maybe it has already.

The postie's just been and dropped a glossy Renault brochure on the mat from Marshalls Renault. Opening it up I see it covers all current car models and emphasizes Renault's links to Formula One.

All that is, except the Fluence which is notable by its absence. So I guess that's it. No more. Gone. Either that or someone at Renault's stuck the knife in.
Yes I don't think any new ones will be sold by Renault UK. I tried for 2 months to get a test drive in one. If you try and book a test drive with ANY UK postcode and put in a distance of 'up to 120 miles' (largest option) you get no results. That was the same 3 months ago

post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 06:00 PM
rob

I tried two Renault dealers, one in Colchester and the other in Enfield north London and neither could supply a new Fluence. I don't think there'll be any more. Who knows they may become sought after for their rarity!

Ps when ever I've looked on Autotrader I haven't seen any for less than £7999

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page