Warning on scuttle drain holes. - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Warning on scuttle drain holes.

When I got mine, I noticed that the drain holes in the wiper scuttle panel seemed to have become easily blocked, and I cleaned them out.

3 months later and I looked again this morning to find the near side drain hole had bunged up and a veritable swimming pool was waiting to drain itself into my heating system. Probably has done a little, already.

If you have not done so, open your bonnet and check the scuttle drain holes are clear. I seem to recall this is a common problem on Meganes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 05:52 AM
Banned

RE: Warning on scuttle drain holes.

Very apt post!
Last night I moved my car in case the elm over the road joined all its relations and came down in the storm smack on top of the car. I avoided the tree - indeed we avoided the storm - but having moved the car to under a maple I had to spend time this morning clearing the scuttle of leaves. One drain hole was indeed blocked. This seems to be a design item that is still in the dark ages wit narrow slits that are bound to get blocked. In previous cars I've often ended up with wet carpets due to this. Thanks for the reminder, Donald
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

I guess the nearside hole, as this has no 'wiper' arm in it and can more readily collect biomass to bung the hole.

Should we not simply drill a bigger hole there?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

OK, so it's, what, only 1 month since I cleaned out my scuttles for the second time and I have found the passenger side one bunged up again!

I don't park under any nasty trees or such. Just very typical driveway/street/work car-park type locations.

Looks like the wipers push rain off the windscreen straight into that hole. So I guess there is quite a high flow through there. Just seemed to be sludge in the hole, just flocculated dirt, rather than decayed stuff.

You don't need to open the bonnet. Just stand around the passenger door and look forward under the bonnet edge. If there is a 'swimming pool' there, you can reach in and clean the hole out.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 03:55 AM
Banned

Yeah, my nearside drain hole was blocked, I'd better check it again today as the leaves are falling and the target is tempting. But why such a small hole? A bigger one, maybe with a mesh cover, would be sensible, surely?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page