Cruise Control - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Cruise Control

Well no, actually, not in my case

Has anybody had any issues with this or know what I might be doing wrong. I press the button on the central armrest (just below) and nothing lights up on my right hand instruments. I think something is supposed to?

My first thought was a blown fuse somewhere but I don't know which one. It ain't listed in the handbook. Perhaps it's in the engine (sorry motor) compartment? There's just no signs of life at all!

Other than that, my first 48hrs have been great. Love the car. Charges much faster than I thought (or operhaps time just flies at work...)

For the price they are at the moment, they appear to be a totally ridiculous bargain. I guess people just ain't informed like wot we are.

Chris

ps oh yes, just to join the club, Watford totally ignored my request for the ZE Services activation code, as I even said they would in my very first email to them. Beat that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 02:12 PM

RE: Cruise Control

I didn't even bother to ask, but I have recently asked for a code so I can check what it is saying online, seeing as the battery contract is linked to that data.

No problems with cruise control for me. Press the button back for cruise control, green light comes on lower left of RH dial. Press forward for speed limiter, alternative icon in the same place lights up orange.

Definitely get a ZE dealer to take a look, if the lights don't come on. Warranty job. Get the brake vacuum pump ECU checked too while you are at it, and your charging lead.

Does it actually work, though? Press the + button to set a speed. The RH dial should then say 'cruise control XXmph'. Could be just a bulb?? (hopefully! - or maybe not hopefully if the dash has to come out!!! )

That being said, I am a great fan of cruise control but I tend not to use it much because the accel is quite aggressive and inefficient. A cruise control with a little tolerance in the set speed would have been good so the pulses of high power are mitigated a little and spread over a longer interval. But there are plenty of things like that which are 'OK' on the Fluence and might be fair game for future improvements. It's a first attempt into a market, really, so would we expect more?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Donald. Looks like it's a warranty job in that case because the whole thing ain't working even without the said lights in the binnacle. Interesting that you don't use it as it's too aggressive - I've found this to be the case in a number of ICE cars too. In particular I've never been too impressed with the BMW set-up which used far too much power and wasn't smooth or accurate. IMHO american cars do cruise best which is why I use it so much on the Jeep. Very smooth and very accurate. Unlike, sadly, Detroit anymore.

I know what you mean about a first attempt into market and I can certainly live with minor niggles. On the whole it seems to be much better screwed together than I was anticipating (bar the rear view mirror which fell off - the car was supplied with a tube of araldite - that's a first for me - good ole Renault customer service) - reminds me of my old days with the Reno 17 gordini (fast rustbucket) and Reno 18 gts (erm, rustbucket) ... but tis another story...

Thanks for getting back, Chris

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 04:12 PM

I would, and do, use the cruise control on fairly flat roads. It's OK so long as there aren't any sudden power demand changes.

My 122 mile run down the M1 was mostly using cruise which resulted in a stable power consumption as it is relatively flat. My commute sees me going up and down some grades in the first half of the journey, and so I leave it off. The rest of the journey is too congested for it to be of benefit, and the speed limiter works better for that situation.

For me, my main potential 'warranty' concern is that the traction motor seems to be getting noisier. It might very well be my over-sensitivity and increasing familiarity with all the noises, and I'm picking that out and over-concerning myself. Doesn't mean I like the noise, though!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Could probably use a nice oil change

Seriously, though, I think they're German units and not French (or Turkish for that matter) so you'll proably be OK...

I did report the cruise issue today while I was on to Reno Customer Services about my pending ZE Services code. Thanks go to Rob (No.4) for steering me in the direction of the very helpful Rob Payne there. He said he'd chase Watford up about it all and report back Monday. Slight progress I think. Have a good w/end Fluencing!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page