First longish run - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

First longish run

Finally got around to making my first longish run yesterday, from Ely in Cambridgeshire to King's Lynn. On the outward leg, I covered 25.7 miles, mostly in open road driving at 50-60mph, and had a tiny shade under 3/4 charge left, implying a range of about 100 miles.

I then drove around King's Lynn for a bit and called at a few more places there before heading back, with a detour for a couple of local shopping stops back in Ely, making a total distance for the day of 62.7 miles. Remaining charge was very slightly under 1/4, implying a total range of 80-85.

Very little use of HVAC, but some use of headlights on the outward leg.

For a first proper outing I was pretty pleased with the range, although I suspect East Anglia's pancake-flat landscape and relatively light traffic helped a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 06:45 PM

RE: First longish run

Pleased to hear things are going well ED, and that sounds like a very positive range for this time of year. My daily commute is 64 miles though I drive pretty fast and simply recharge at both ends. Last week I did purposefully try to see if I could have done it in one go with some saintly driving on the back roads (instead of the A1) and it would certainly have been possible - but I haven't risked it yet! I might leave that for the Spring when ambient temp is a bit better since my current full charge prediction is 62 miles when I leave the house in the morning. Yes, your landscape is not quite as hilly as mine up here in the North Pennines! Anyway - pleased you are enjoying the car - I think it's very comfortable and a nice drive for these longer runs (and it even has 'kickdown', if you press the pedal far enough! or is it only me who has tried that?). cheers, Chris
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 04:52 AM
Banned

Chris, I hadn't thought of "kickdown" but on the couple of occasions when I have needed to get past a truck in a hurry and slammed the foot down the car has responded with a surprising turn of speed considering the miserable 0-60 figure for the car. Next time you try it, set the onboard computer to kwh beforehand and see how high you can get it!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauledg
Next time you try it, set the onboard computer to kwh beforehand and see how high you can get it!
Hee hee, yes will give that a go, I don't think I am imagining a stop at the bottom of the accelerator travel and then a further inch. Trouble is that the aforementioned 'further inch' doesn't make any difference!! Might just be a construction / parts crossover from the petrol & diesel autos to save on production costs. But I'll look at the KWH meter like you say... have to say that like you I find the car quicker than the numbers suggest.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 06:52 AM

There's a kick-down 'of sorts', but it isn't related (or at least, not strongly related) to how the motor works or puts out power.

If you have set the speed limiter, then pushing the pedal to the metal bypasses the speed limiter. I think this is the main function of any 'switch' actuation you can feel at the bottom of the pedal travel.

In fact, you can dial up the full 75-ish kW that it indicates can be delivered with less than full pedal movement at certain speeds. Maybe it allows you a little more than the rated 70 kW if you do put the pedal full down, just as a short-burst thing.

You can actually lose traction at 30mph if you nail the pedal, because it puts out its full torque up to around that speed. It is limited on torque to 30-ish, and on power above that. The traction control is very good at keeping that torque under control, though, and I have never been daft enough to turn it off (it is a Very Bad Thing not to have anti-skid on in an EV because the tyres can spin up to truly excessive speeds very quickly in a manner that ICE doesn't (because in an ICE the power drops off in a low gear and with increasing engine speeds, so it reaches a limiting speed and torque defined by the gear (usually a low one), whereas for an EV it is essentially able to spin a slipping tyre straight up to its maximum speed! If the max speed of the Fluence is 84 mph, then if one tyre remains in grip on the road and the other spins up, that slipping tyre could hit over 100 mph while slipping and spinning, destroying the tyre very quickly).

Most EVs actually rate momentary power differently to continuous power. The 70kW continuous rating of the Fluence is pretty typical for all EVs, but some allow momentary excursions of power to much higher levels. Don't necessarily believe that the EV defined power is equivalent to another. The Spark EV is advertised as 95 kW and delivers an impressive acceleration for that, but its continuous rated power is 56 kW. I don't know if the Fluence's 70kW is continuous or peak, so you're not necessarily comparing apples or oranges.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
My daily commute is 64 miles though I drive pretty fast and simply recharge at both ends.
It's your choice, of course, but as you know EVs are very sensitive to being driven hard. I'm surprised you don't feel you can make the 64 miles on one charge, this should be pretty easy but does need a gentle drive if you've got heaters on (I do recommend my 'new tip'; use low fan 19C to feet-only - works a treat to save range), but if you can juice-up easily at work and choose to do so anyway, then I guess it makes little difference to you in the end. In winter time you will probably be wanting to do this routinely so that you can pre-heat before the return leg. I had hoped my works would install a charge point and even the boss is keen, but the bean counters have shunned it.

[hr]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDave
For a first proper outing I was pretty pleased with the range
Sounds very much like our collective experiences of the car. At least the model seems to deliver consistently.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Yesterday was the second day I did some fairly significant mileage in the car. I covered 33.5 miles and had just over half a charge left, implying a range of perhaps 70-75 miles.

This was a return trip from Ely to Newmarket with an indirect return leg (flat terrain), using headlamps (including quite a bit of high beam) throughout but not much heating.

The biggest hit seemed to come when I was queuing for quite a long time to get out of the Waitrose car park in Newmarket during the rush hour. This isn't very scientific, and I didn't measure it properly, but just sitting there, crawling forward with the lights on and using a few minutes of demisting and heated rear window appeared to scoff up almost half an octal.

I think the flat local roads are contributing a lot to my range - cruising along on the level, nearer to 50 than 60 if I can do that without holding up other traffic, I'm finding that much of the time I only need to tickle the accelerator at single digit kW to maintain momentum.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 12:23 PM
Banned

It sounds like, like me, you are hooked on the numbers on the dash. Those numbers are quite addictive and I'm always trying to better my previous figures. Luckily our roads are pretty empty or I could be finding out about crash resistance. But for those who are not so narrow-minded there's always the big battery gauge that never lies!

We might enjoy picking the car to pieces but, truth be told, it's got a lot going for it (or we wouldn't have got one?).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page