Fluence brake lights when regenerative braking - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Fluence brake lights when regenerative braking

Bit puzzled by this.

I was under the impression that the Fluence brake lights didn't illuminate when regenerative braking - although there's a significant argument that they should.

However, I've noticed over the last few days that 5/6 miles after setting off from home (pitch black and the car having been charged to full) the brake lights come on when the car is under regenerative braking. As soon as the accelerator pedal is pressed, off go the brake lights.

I understand why it doesn't happen during the first few miles with a full battery, but have only just noticed it doing it.

Is this an (early) curse of dodgy French electrics, or is this common to other Fluences ??

I kept my eyes peeled on the reflection in the back window, and the brake lights don't apear to be coming on at any other time, which I'm hoping rules out an electrical gremlin...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 07:43 AM

RE: Fluence brake lights when regenerative braking

I've never noticed the brake lights coming on at all under regen. Worries me a little about the tailgating guys behind.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 02:58 PM

Today was the first time mine's been out at night and no sign of brake lights under regeneration so it looks like we might have a few near misses from the rear to contend with. In a bit of a hurry and a hot car meant 3/8 battery gone in 19 miles. Ouch.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

The Twizy certainly doesn't do this - I regenerate whilst going through the Clyde Tunnel, whilst freewheeling into the dip, then accelerate out.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 06:17 AM

My break lights come on under re-gen only (sometimes). I've tried to figure out under what conditions it happens as it certainly not every time I lift of the accelerator. I've come to the non-scientific conclusion that the rate of retardation may somehow be monitored and the brake light is triggered above a certain limit. This is based on observation only and primarily because the brake light seems to come on most consistently when slowing down (re-gen) up hill.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 07:43 AM
Banned

Do they only come on under hard regen? I guess the only way to tell would be to go down a steep hill in a dark area with no street lights and then let off the accelerator. If you see the cats eyes behind all light up red then the brake lights come on.

But you wouldn't want the brake lights flashing on everytime you let your foot off the 'gas' though.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 10:11 AM

It is intrinsically difficult to safely test yourself. Mine certainly don't come on every time and as mentioned about I can only think there is some kind of sensor. I do quite a bit of rural driving at night so I'll try to keep an eye on it to see if I can pin it down any more.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azc007
It is intrinsically difficult to safely test yourself. Mine certainly don't come on every time and as mentioned about I can only think there is some kind of sensor. I do quite a bit of rural driving at night so I'll try to keep an eye on it to see if I can pin it down any more.
I know what you mean. Don't go having an accident!

A nice narrow long country lane at night on a dry evening should suffice. Maybe one with a slope and reflective road signs or cats eyes. Failing that, a couple walkie talkies and the Mrs following behind as a back up

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 02:41 AM

Following a rural trip last night I'm happy to say the brake lights are triggered above a specific rate if retardation. There is a long straight with a good gradient on my journey. When going up and lifting off the accelerator the brake lights come on almost immediately while on the return journey going down the lights didn't come on at all.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 06:27 AM

Thanks for that, Azc007, you may have solved the conundrum. Next time I'm out at night I'll see if mune does the same. I do tend to cruise to a halt (or almost) at traffic lights without touching the brake, no-one's flashed me or showed annoyance yet but I bet now I've mentioned it they will!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page