Maps & Charge Points - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Maps & Charge Points

Frustratingly, when I was in Banbury the other day, my car suggested my 2 nearest charge points were in warwick (20 miles) or home (22 miles). As the maps have not been updated since the year dot I decided today to do something about it - no go, server down at TomTom!

But I am very interested to hear:

1) Has anyone managed to update their maps successfully - Leaf owners have had nightmares, crashing the system - and is it worth it at 50 a year?

2) Please can someone set their satnav to Banbury and see what the nearest charge points are on your car? I am really not sure how chargepoints get updated, or even if they do. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

RE: Maps & Charge Points

I use Plugshare - there's an app for that. The inbuilt POI's will always be a minimum of 6 months out of date, so I never seriously considered them.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

I took the plunge and connected my car's sd card to my computer yesterday. This time their server wasn't down and a software update took place. Rummaging through the uttery unintuitive menus I managed to update speed cameras. I avoided the map updates as I don't have that much spare cash. Then in a separate menu I actually found - for the first time - an option to update chargepoints. It was a worryingly small file but I did it. Now all that's left is to try it and see if it's done anything!

Looking on Leaft**k (am I allowed to mention that here?) one of the members is on Plugsurfing, and lives in Banbury. I reckon I'll have to make contact in case I need the facility again. I've also tried to register my house on the site but, like others have found, a confirmation email never appeared. Shame, the idea is great.

Not one to give up, I had another go today and have managed to register my chargepoint as available. I even got that email saying it will appear on their site when they do their next data update.

P.S. Is Plugsurfing the same as Plugshare? Or are there two similar apps for contacting other EV users in order to use thier chargepoint?

I've got the answer to that, too. Similar but trying to install the app on my two android phones - one said Google services needed updating. It was and it doesn't make any difference. Google services has been deleted off the second phone as it's so memory hungry and the phone is challenged in that regard so that was a no-no.

There's also a problem with Plugsurfing for android, it requires a newer version than 3.3 and won't download. However one phone had it downloaded a few months ago successfully and it appears to run, so I don't know what's going on there. The app is a cutdown version of Plugsurfing, so you need a computer to register yourself and your chargepoint. Then (hopefully) the app will show it. I'm holding my breath!

I do wonder whether all this faffing around is worthwhile. If you find a point, get directed to it, check it's got the right plug or socket and it actaully works, plus you've got the right card to access it, I bet there's an ICE parked there all day to stop you!
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Plugshare and Plugsurfing are different - the former being a crowd-sourced collection of locations. True, it is only as good as those who enter (and check) the data, but I see new sites show pretty quickly and if the location is out a little, I can correct it.

CYC actually had theirs listed 11 miles away from where it should be, because they got the postcode wrong. The worry here is even if they get it right, the pin will be at the postcode centriod, NOT where it actually is!

I look forward to looking at the Fluence list with interest.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

Here's an update on chargepoints. I mentioned that I was offered the opportunity to update the chargepoints on the map the other day. You will all be delighted to know that now, when I ask the car for chargepoints near my destination "Banbury" I get a grand total of...........the same as before! Two, both 20 miles away.

WHAT A USELESS SYSTEM.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 03:44 AM
Super Moderator

Perhaps - as a check driving round Glasgow found 2 (there are over 20)! However, I really loved how when charging at a location it didn't know about - an easy task! - it automatically added it to my own map, complete with named location (street) and an icon.

Now, if there was a way to pool this data so we all got to access it, that would be the icing on the cake!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

The car's connected system is keen on collecting data from us, it would be nice if it gave something back for a change. I bet if we asked we'd be told it's "data protection" - the usual excuse when someone doesn't want to do the obvious.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure much of it would be of interest, however the personal Chargepoints data is accessible from the SD card, so in theory, we could pool all our data and compile a ZE Forum list which only needs to be recompiled every couple of months. The amount of data per location is minuscule.....
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

At last the Plugsurfing map shows my home charge point so anyone running out of juice in the locality and able to use a J1772 plug (ie. us and Leafies) are welcome to drop by and connect up. there's even a photo of the house and car to help guide you there.

Check your map: location Arncott near Bicester OX25 1PB
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator

Not showing when a I looked - maybe it takes time to filter through? Try and find mine - North Glasgow (Bishopbriggs) it's been listed for a few weeks now.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page