A PRIVATE seller on Autotrader - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Banned

A PRIVATE seller on Autotrader

I always keep an eye out on the Fluence's on Autotrader and today I saw the first ever private seller!

They're asking 7,500 for it which is top book at a dealers and the car is the most expensive Fluence ZE for sale in the UK, despite the low mileage. Me thinks they should have done their homework?

So is it anyone on here? Bit worrysome that they're getting rid in such a short time and with such a low mileage!! I hope it's not another with issues like the 'white one'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 04:41 AM

RE: A PRIVATE seller on Autotrader

Ah, but have you noticed it's one of those mysterious ones on Autotrader that does 135mph! Maybe that's another concept car?

I do wonder how he'll get on when a buyer agrees a purchase and then finds out he's only bought half a car
post #3 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 04:23 PM
Eep

You know the rules: pics or it didn't happen

http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/classif...1403032195657/
post #4 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 05:51 PM

Sadly might be looking for a replacement for my own fluence shortly...
Driving home from work this afternoon when some Muppet decided to run a red light at 30 mph taking the front end of my pride and joy with him.
Heartbreaking to see the fluence dragged onto a recovery truck.
Damage is both headlights, front bumper torn off. Drivers side wing, bonnet and front cross member is now u shaped.Radiator pushed back and not holding water, but no air bags deployed.

Totally gutted, and hoping insurance won't write it off.

In fairness, the fluence stood up well - the Micra that ran the lights is definitely a write off...

Renault assistance were great, recovery within 60 minutes no doubt prompted by the Police as the road was partially blocked

post #5 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 06:07 PM
Eep

Sorry to hear. Although it's a trite remark, it's good that you're OK and that the Fluence was proven a safe place to be in this instance.
post #6 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Oh Cripes.... Ouch! Real, really sorry to hear this. I'm just getting a DVR fitted to mine this week to provide independent evidence of these nutters.... Keep us posted.
post #7 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Eep, I've noticed the price has now dropped below 7,000. I wonder if that's the first drop of many?

Zelee, glad you're ok. These things can be much worse, but a car is a car and if everyone walks away, that's a result in my eyes. Just hope the insurance side runs smoothly. Who are you with out of curiosity? Will the insurers repair it or will they scare away and write it off?

For everyone else. As Buzby says, getting an accident dash camera is a cheap way for peace of mind should the other persons story change. Can't deny they ran a red if your camera clearly shows you driving through a green. With 1 in 20 cars being un insured and many others driven by people ready to milk the system, define proof of your driving really stop what is an unfortunate incident dragging on for years. Have a look on youtube for "Russian dash cam" and see how the cams can help an insurer. The cameras start at about 20 upwards. Worth having these days.
post #8 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 08:01 AM

Looks more like a 'trade' advert to me from the style of photos and description. You can claim 'private' if you sell less than 3 cars a year (I think that's the general rule) so maybe this is a dealership shifting its unsellable Fluence? If it is a genuine private sale then it says something quite troubling - if I needed to sell a Fluence I'd ask Renault to take it back, and I'd happily suffer a 1000 depreciation, or maybe more, because of the hassle of the battery etc.. So I guess that implies Renault see these as worth little more than 5k right now.[hr]
Zelee - it's possible you've had the first ever UK Fluence accident!

Glad you are OK. Sounds like it is repairable if it has missed the main chassis components and drivetrain. The real question is whether anyone will want to repair it and instead offer an uncompetitive repair cost.

Without remotely defending the other driver, the standard of the public roads these days is atrocious with degraded surface, signage, road markings, etc.. In my opinion, a conscientious driver could still become distracted and make a mistake with all these extra things to have to deal with, together with the volume of traffic. I do not think the standard 3 second amber is long enough in today's reality, especially at junctions with zero time between the different legs into the junctions (all timings cut short to get more traffic through the junction). So I always treat a green light as a 'give way' and always have a look before presuming to carry on. I guess you will too in the future!!![hr]
I'd like to get a permanent DVR going in all my cars, but it seems such an effort to install such things. I think all new cars should now be required to have a permanent, tamperproof video camera installed and recording at all times. It would cost buttons to install this during manufacture. I would bet the standard of driving would get a lot better!!
post #9 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

I would have thought the real issue is whether Renault would have all the relevant parts available (in the UK) and be prepared to sell them at a price that would encourage a repair, than a simple way of of paying market value....

As for DVR's I've used them in every vehicle since 2008 and treat them as if it was a safety belt. Only had to use them twice but in each case it proved a valuable silent witness. Sure, it was just stuck to the windscreen but I doubt they'll be inbuilt in anything other than a car worth 40 k or more.
post #10 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 03:29 PM

Availability of parts does concern me. The local body shop supplier certainly won't stock panels for a fluence and no Renault dealer in the UK is going to have anything specific to a Fluence sat on a shelf ..
That means parts from Renault France - and the price that comes with this.
Then there's the time element - weeks rather than days.
Weeks of funding my hire car.
The cars in at one of Aviva's approved repairers, and I'm just waiting for the call advising they can't touch it because it's electric.
Even the recovery guy was a little hesitant about going near it until he had confirmed the electric side of things appeared to be undamaged.
Finally, there's the battery lease.

No reference is made in the hire agreement to such circumstances.

The battery pack isn't damaged - all damage is in front of the front wheels, so if the car was written off, then what ??

Return the battery pack to Renault and pay an early termination fee ??
Transfer the battery lease to a replacement fluence ??

I'm going to e mail RCI with my questions / concerns and will keep you posted.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page