Dynamic regen? - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Eep

Dynamic regen?

Having succumbed to the novelty of instant torque in my first week of ownership, I have now started to follow the accepted wisdom for getting the most from an EV.

When I bought the car it was fully charged and showing 57 miles as its maximum range. A week later the maximum charge was showing 52 miles. Now the range has crept above 60 and on my 11 mile commute to work it dropped by fewer than 5. Go me.

The only thing that bugs me is that during the first week the feet-off regeneration was noticeably strong. Now, though, it seems rather ineffective by comparison - particularly when coasting along urban streets.

I've put this down to one of three possibilities:

1. The regen is done dynamically, in that the car works out how much force to apply dependent on average power usage.

2. The regen differs from day to day depending on ambient temperature.

3. Having gotten used to the car, I'm imagining it.

I think that point 3 seems most likely. But I'd like to know if anyone knows more about the regen mechanism in the Fluence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 06:39 AM

RE: Dynamic regen?

In general it will pull 30kW of regen above 40mph, and tapers generally linearly from there down to 5mph or so.

Yes, it does seem to vary a little. Things that appear to affect it are temperature, battery state of charge and angle of incline the vehicle is on.

But I also agree that one of the bigger effects is that you've simply got used to it!

Leave the gauge on kW readout, and keep an eye on how much regen is being pulled. You will probably find that it is quite consistent (remember it will read less regen if the heater is on, because some of the energy flow will be going straight into the heater than the battery).
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 07:27 AM

Yes, I think the getting used to it explanation is the most likely one!

BTW, are you resetting every time you charge up? I find if I do this, the revised range estimate immediately takes on a lower value than any that has been generated by my fairly light-footed driving style.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Eep

OK I'm going to sound thick now. When you say resetting, what do you mean
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eep
OK I'm going to sound thick now. When you say resetting, what do you mean
Pressing in and holding for a few seconds one of the little buttons on the end of the right hand stalk while, say, the "Distance" reading is displayed. This zeros the distance reading and appears to give a clean sheet when it comes to estimating range (usually the number goes down in my case).

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Eep

I'll try that next time I charge up.

At the moment I'm still borderline euphoric at the thought I can get three there-'n-back commutes from one single charge. And the fact I don't have to go to a petrol station again.

Though I do, of course, because my other car still 'drink from the pump'. The Fluence has made me want to sell them all. Never thought it'd come to that, I have to tell you.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page