Chargemaster Pricing from April - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Chargemaster Pricing from April

I've just received details of Polar Chargemaster's plan to charge for use of their non-domestic charge points from 1st. April.
To save you all hunting for details:

1. POLAR Economy Plus Tariff:
Monthly subscription paid by direct debit of £12 per month to include:
•20 hours of free 13 amp socket charging (one charging credit per hour), or
•13.3 hours Type 2 socket charging (1.5 charging credits per hour), or
•2 x 30 minute sessions of triplex rapid chargers (10 charging credits per half hour), or
•Any combination of the above to a total of 20 charging credits.
•Sites marked free on the Chargemaster web site will not result in credits being used.
Charging over the free usage on chargeable sites is charged at: •£0.95 per hour for 13 amp chargers (part hours charge pro rata).
•£1.45 per hour for Type 2 chargers (part hours charged pro rata).
•£6 for 30 minutes for triplex rapid chargers (minimum 30 minutes then pro rata).

2. POLAR Standard Tariff:
Annual subscription of £20 plus:
•£1.00 per hour for 13 amp socket chargers (minimum charge one hour and then pro rata).
•£1.50 per hour for Type 2 chargers (minimum charge one hour and then pro rata).
•£7 for 30 minutes for triplex rapid chargers (minimum 30 minutes then pro-rata).
•Sites marked free on the Chargemaster web site will not result in usage charges being incurred.

3. SMARTPHONE PAYG
This scheme will be operational early April.
I didn't receive details of cost or operating platform for this

Just a point. I'll happily pay for charging up for hours and hours to get me a few miles if Chargemaster will pay me for the time I waste doing so. What's the going rate for kicking one's heels in some godforsaken carpark?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 08:49 AM
Eep

RE: Chargemaster Pricing from April

I will make a Mystic Meg style prediction that, in the entire time I own my car, I will only ever use the charger at home or the charger at work.

I'd love to see some stats for EVs and household car ownership, i.e. how many electric owners have 'backup' combustion cars they can fire up in the event they need to exceed the range of the battery. Because I think that would give a further clue as to how a public charging network is of little relevance to most EV buyers. It would also be interesting to see how many EVs bought as second cars (e.g. mine) have now become the primary car. That's certainly been the case for me.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 08:58 AM

I agree. I'd also like to see some 'real' figures, rather than hearing from those who are shouting loudest for public chargers. I find myself constantly arguing with the Leafsters on leaftalk about this. They are ****-bent on insisting on rapid charging, and everyone insists 6.6kW charger should be standard (I have never needed that charge rate in a whole year).

My conclusion is exactly as you have just alluded to, eep, which is that the Leafsters are path-breakers in new tech. We Fluence drivers are just a bunch of cheapskates [excuse the self-deprecation, but who here would consider buying new?] who have taken a punt on what looks like a relatively low risk, albeit a new technology being dumped in a veritable 'fire sale'. In that sense, WE are far more typical of the future demographic of EV owners, whereas the current Leaf owners are a flash-in-the-pan early adopters. Yeah, sure, I can't zoom off on a second long trip in a day if I get home from work. So what? I take the family ICE. The guys that are insistent that EVs have to have the fastest possible charge rates seem to be focussed and committed on REPLACING their ICE with EV. I'm not. It is simply an extra 'tool' in the family fleet, to be used according to its strengths, not its weaknesses.

In that regard, I am confident I reflect a much more 'normal' EV user of the future, one who will blend their EV and ICE usage to achieve the best overall outcome. In that regard, I will therefore have little, if ever a, need for public charging at all because if I can't make the trip I am planning with the Fluence then it stands to reason I won't take it!!

I think public charging is a waste of tax payers money. If a business like IKEA wants to install their own chargers at their own cost because they think it will attract business, great! But do I want to see my tax money spent on chargers. No, I don't, and I'm an EV driver!!!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Spot on!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Well - I'm in the other camp. But for the reasoning stated below, as this may be regionally significant. Many of the Councils in Scotland offer free parking for EV's IF you 1168720220 to their chargers. This means at a stroke 98% of the locations where I normally would use Pay & Display is now at no cost. Since Mb car isn't going anywhere, it might as well charge - so in the last 3 weeks, I have consumed 8KW on my home point - but 60Kw at public stations.

No I don't want to see public money wasted on chargers but ChargePOINTS (my car has the charger) as the adoption increases, the existing points will become swamped. Until the model changes,I see no reason to change my established modus operandi !
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Buzby, it looks like true generosity stops at the Scottish border as you travel South- and we Brits were always told Scots are mean! We were clearly misled.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 10:32 AM
Eep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald
In that regard, I am confident I reflect a much more 'normal' EV user of the future, one who will blend their EV and ICE usage to achieve the best overall outcome. In that regard, I will therefore have little, if ever a, need for public charging at all because if I can't make the trip I am planning with the Fluence then it stands to reason I won't take it!!
Yup. Horses for courses. We know that almost all car journeys are short and within the range of any modern EV, yet the perception remains that the range of an EV is wholly inadequate. It would be cheaper and more effective to mailshot the one in three households that now have >1 car, and offer them a 'scrappage' style deal if they bin their petrol or diesel wagon for an electric one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzby
This means at a stroke 98% of the locations where I normally would use Pay & Display is now at no cost.
That does sound attractive. But as you alluded later, like the nil car tax or £5,000 grant this situation won't last. And if the car parks have all their spaces hoovered up courtesy of people making use of a free stay (there's your Scottish stereotype), then it's of no advantage. You just have to look at how various external factors - principally the banding of VED and now extortionate fuel cost: £1.50p/litre near me! - have made a lot of diesels look less and less desirable year upon year to see that you should not base decisions or any long term thinking on short term perks.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Oh agreed - it can't last (well, come September 18th, it might!) but it explains our enthusiasm for public charge points. The good news of course, is all of you are most welcome to come up, park and have free charging - it's like having ASDA everywhere (which we also have!).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page