Chargemaster home unit failure - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Chargemaster home unit failure

Today I had my first request from another EV ownber to hook up to my home charger - the Polar one replacing the British Gas badged one that failed after half a dozen charges. Leaf plugged in, no end of fiddling with cables, locks, and no joy. First it threw the master switch, then it eventually started. We went out to demonstrate the Fluence, returning to find the Leaf had not charged! This charger unit has been used just TWICE since installation, surely it can't have gone belly up. The Leaf owner had to make for Cherwell Services on the M40 otherwise he'd have a second night away from home ( got stuck in Oxford).

Ah well, thank God for a 10A cable and a working socket!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

RE: Chargemaster home unit failure

one of the reasons those vocal for Rapid chargers to replace fast ones should be taken with a pinch of salt! Which bit failed BTW?
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 07:04 PM

Yep you're right Paul, the Polar chargemaster unit can be a bit of a pain. Mine is ok most of the time but sometimes throws a hissy fit and turns itself on and off at 2 minute intervals three or four times. These of course show up on my phone app. so I'm able to trace them. My indicator lights must flash away in the middle of the night when no-one is around as it comes on again. It seems to do this about 4 times and then settle again to charging. Most odd. I've tried various tricks like moving cable to other side and waiting 30 mins to start but it just seems to throw a hissy fit about one in four times. Never mind - at least it picks up where it left off and finally charges the car! I can live with it and I don't think it's a safety concern so far as I can see. Might be an earthing / RCD issue, I suppose. Chris
post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 07:39 PM

I wonder if it is something to do with it talking back to base. Mine has always struggled to get data back to base - I got no charging data for 6 months and now I am getting gobbledigook. However, my charger has been faultless (err.. maybe I shouldn't have said that!?). Anyhow, it certainly hasn't gone wrong when it was never communicating with CM.
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Interesting point about talking back to base. My original charger NEVER did this, but this one does - or should though in this instance it didn't. Or maybe as it wasn't my car connected to it, it won't report to me?

I'll be using the car today - another demonstration - so I'll try the wall charger again tonight and see if it throws a fit again. Better make sure I'm going nowhere tomorrow just in case!

post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 06:37 AM
Eep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald
I wonder if it is something to do with it talking back to base. Mine has always struggled to get data back to base - I got no charging data for 6 months and now I am getting gobbledigook. However, my charger has been faultless (err.. maybe I shouldn't have said that!?). Anyhow, it certainly hasn't gone wrong when it was never communicating with CM.
Could I ask how you personally are getting charging data? I'd love to see this sort of thing from mine but I've no idea where the data is made available.
post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 06:59 AM

You can go to chargevision3.com. Polar should give you login details. But the data is rubbish. I have an energy meter with a current clamp and sender unit around the supply to the charge point.

You can also register for Renault services and get charging data that way too. I have declined to register because of 'small print' that I don't understand (and in fact can't read because the website only presents you 5 lines of a 1,000 line document).
post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

So is it your socket/plug that provides this info? I have the Rolec Wallpod, which has no intelligence, but there is a Smart Meter that monitors consumption taken (after my standard domestic meter).
post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 11:59 AM

There must be some sort of monitoring back to base, because this is a condition for the grant (assuming you got yours installed with a grant?). Ask Rolec.
post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

No there's none - the Wallpod is dumb... completely. The consumption is recorded by a smart meter which has a GPRS modem, and this information is unavailable to me unless I pay an annual subscription to MeterOnline. It is cheaper for me to read it manually!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page