Bang goes the Fluence wing mirror - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Eep

Bang goes the Fluence wing mirror

Some clown in a Fiesta took out my O/S wing mirror last night, smashing off the back cover and indicator lens and damaging the actual body of the mirror as well. So I can't just replace the cover (about 10) and the lens (about the same). Fantastic.

What I've done is plumped for a Megane III complete assembly from a salvage yard advertising on eBay. This one in fact:

2012 RENAULT MEGANE 1.5 DCi 5DR DRIVERS SIDE WING MIRROR BLACK BREAKING
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=231184730076

Cost me 70 plus the postage (SRP for the genuine Renault item is over 200, eBay price for same is anywhere up to 150) and I'll report back in the event it fits. From what I can tell it should be a like-for-like swap, but this sort of thing is still worth knowing in the event other Fluence owner tries Googling for the answer as I originally did.

Sadly almost nobody at the parts counter in a dealership will know what my car is, and it's stuff like that which makes me properly nervous - it's all very well driving around in the only car of its type on UK roads, but all that really means is that finding anything for it will be a hard task that never ever gets easier.

I thought 50 year old classics were bad...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 07:06 AM

RE: Bang goes the Fluence wing mirror

While parked, or tight lanes coming towards you? I always tuck the mirror in when parked on the road. At this level of car it should be auto-folding. Much more useful than the auto-wipers/lights [email protected]@luks.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 07:31 AM

I will be interested in the outcome on how you get on fitting the wing mirror.

When I took delievry of my Fluence on Saturday I missed that the delievry firm must have clipped my passenger mirror in transit taking out the plastic white indicator cover and cracking the base.

I am hoping the Renault dealer will be able to sort this for me as the delievry firm denies all knowledge.

I was looking at same said Megane Mirror on ebay, but did not want to take the plunge not knowing what the dealer might say and if a Megane mirror would fit.

I will be tucking in my mirrors in the future.

Good luck with the fitting Eep
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Eep

I'll certainly keep you posted. I reported in another thread that the floor mats are identical to those in a Megane III hatch so I've every hope the mirror will be as straightforward as it looks.[hr]
Quote:
Originally Posted by donald
While parked, or tight lanes coming towards you? I always tuck the mirror in when parked on the road. At this level of car it should be auto-folding. Much more useful than the auto-wipers/lights [email protected]@luks.
Down a narrow country lane. I judged the speed and position of the oncoming car accurately enough for me to move way across in advance, and had reached the point where I could feel the N/S side of the car begin to squirm a little on the edge of the verge.

BANG.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Oh tough luck. Since there were three Fluence ZE's in Glasgow today, come up for a visit (and bring a spanner)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 10:35 AM

By coincidence, my neighbour has a Megane estate hire car on his drive at the moment, which is black. The mirrors on that car, to my eye at least, look pretty much identical to those on the Fluence. I don't know whether all Meganes have black-shelled mirrors or whether the ones on this one are black because the rest of the car is black.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Eep

Though the Megane III mirror fits nicely, the plastic moulding around the bolt threads and wiring harness on the underside of the housing is an entirely different shape.

While this might not seem like a problem, what you probably don't realise is that the Fluence mirrors have a half inch layer of squidgy foam soundproofing between the cap inside on the door and the outside plastic of the mirror, which helps deaden the higher frequency sounds you hear from e.g. the air flowing over the housing at speed.

Because the plastic moulding is different, this soundproofing layer will not fit, so until I can find a Fluence mirror (i.e. bite the bullet and buy one new from Renault ) I'll have to put up with a slightly higher level of noise in the cabin.

Incidentally the mirror I bought from eBay was damaged. Along with three bolts which hold the whole thing to the door, there is in addition a plastic retaining clip at the top of the housing which holds the narrowest portion of the housing against the door frame, preventing it from flapping about.

This had been snapped cleanly in two, meaning it was basically wrestled off the donor vehicle without much patience. I think every similar breaker's yard purchase I've made from eBay has had something similar, so next time I shan't bother. Waste of money.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 12:29 PM

Well, we know where there is a Fluence write-off.... you can also now advise them to be careful of the extra plastic process.

I'm happy to use breakers stuff, but I will phone around locally and go take the part myself. Too many problems like the one you reported. Hope you get your money back, should not be broken.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eep
Though the Megane III mirror fits nicely, the plastic moulding around the bolt threads and wiring harness on the underside of the housing is an entirely different shape.

While this might not seem like a problem, what you probably don't realise is that the Fluence mirrors have a half inch layer of squidgy foam soundproofing between the cap inside on the door and the outside plastic of the mirror, which helps deaden the higher frequency sounds you hear from e.g. the air flowing over the housing at speed.

Because the plastic moulding is different, this soundproofing layer will not fit, so until I can find a Fluence mirror (i.e. bite the bullet and buy one new from Renault ) I'll have to put up with a slightly higher level of noise in the cabin.

Incidentally the mirror I bought from eBay was damaged. Along with three bolts which hold the whole thing to the door, there is in addition a plastic retaining clip at the top of the housing which holds the narrowest portion of the housing against the door frame, preventing it from flapping about.

This had been snapped cleanly in two, meaning it was basically wrestled off the donor vehicle without much patience. I think every similar breaker's yard purchase I've made from eBay has had something similar, so next time I shan't bother. Waste of money.
I took the plunge and purchased the passenger side wing mirror of probably the same Megane. I have no bolts whatsoever but I am wondering how you took the small plastic bit that covers the inside of the mirror ? Did you have to take the inside door cover off or only the small plastic bit ? If only the small cover inside how did you leverage the bottom of ?

Is it even worth bothering with ?

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 01:45 PM

Are we allowed to remove the mirrors and put in those side cameras, like the XL-1 has got!? Should save a mile of range!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page