B-pillar blind spot? - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

B-pillar blind spot?

Been meaning to mention this for a while - do you chaps find that the B-pillar and passenger head-rest make for quite a blind spot when pulling right out of a T-junction, and when you've just cocked the car to the right a little?

I do try to align the headrest with the pillar to reduce the obstruction (if passengers don't move the seat!), but I still tippy-toe out of the junction whilst trying to look either side of the pillar in case I missed something from the left.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 12:04 PM
Eep

RE: B-pillar blind spot?

Actually no, I've not noticed it. What height are you and where do you have your seat?

My biggest gripe is the reflection from the dashboard onto the screen. On sunny days it's borderline dangerous.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 12:37 PM

Yes, i negotiate one T-junction that always gives me problems however I align the car. headrests are, in my opinion, a nightmare and I'd happily do without them.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

I noticed this today - and appreciated how much vision you lose looking left. My solution next time was to position the car at a greater angle so that the obstruction didn't hinder my view of the approaching flow, although clearly the blind spot is a pain, waiting a few seconds resolves it!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzby
My solution next time was to position the car at a greater angle
Yes, that is just what I have concluded. You have to think about how the car will sit at the junction, and either come very square on to the junction, or skew to the 'far right' (if your politics will allow!! ).
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Not a problem - we've got a Referendum 5 months away, so I might bump into some inattentive pollsters....!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 03:08 AM

The T-junction that concerns me is a tricky one. Approached up a hill, exiting into a rather fast and curved road - I have to pull the nose of the car into the road to see the way is clear, I have option to position the car for blind spot visibility. Thank goodness all junctions are not this awkward!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 04:42 AM
Eep

I've owned and driven enough vehicles that have been poorly designed from a driver visibility perspective that the Fluence is really nothing out of the ordinary. Pretty much all modern cars now have high flanks, wide pillars and particularly poor rear visibility all in the name of safety and more often just style.

Hence my continuing love for older Foresters, all of which offer unrivalled 360 degree visibility courtesy of lots of glass and raised ride height, giving that lovely feeling of knowing exactly where all four corners of the car are in any given situation.

It is old and frumpy looking though! (Part of the appeal.)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 04:53 AM

I agree, Eep, modern cars are awful from the visibility out point of view. Cars from my youth were specifically designed with excellent visibility in mind. Ah, those were the days!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

My Espace had the best safety rating at the time, 4*, Ok the newer model is better, and has what I would call unrestricted visibility in any forward direction. A beast to reverse, the visibility to the lower sides is limited for judging your position in parking situations (I have added mirrors).[hr]
Just been looking at NCAP reslts and surprised to find the 16 yr old design of the Espace has better crash results than the Fluence.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page