home charge cable for sale - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

home charge cable for sale

Following the sad demise of my previous Fluence, I'm now left with two of the standard home plug in chargers.

My old Fluence came without this cable. Only reason I bought it was our "local" shopping centre (meadowhall Sheffield) has free charging - but more importantly secure and plentiful parking for E.V's !!

I use a BG charge point at home.

My new Fluence came complete with the plug in domestic charger, so 500 of my hard earned cash spent last December is sat gathering dust in my garage .

Of interest to anyone ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 10:39 AM

RE: home charge cable for sale

Does anyone know how susceptible to failure they are?

Is it worth just keeping it as a back-up/spare?

Also, does anyone now why they are so expensive?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 12:07 PM

The plugs needs to be a fairly high tolerance both for the essential purpose of mating and carrying 30A, but also because they have to be designed to take many make-and-break connections over their lifetime.

A good bit of high current cable is also not cheap. For flexibility you want to have many fine wires making up each core, the more and finer the more flexible. To do that, and reliably over a lot of use, the wire needs to be drawn accurately from good quality copper.

Finally, there is not that much demand. Prices will drop with higher production volumes.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 12:07 PM
Eep

I'm hoping donald will explain the latter - has always baffled me. Mine feels nicely agricultural, sure, but is about the same value as my Subaru [hr]
Beaten, by seconds...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

I think the best price I saw one go for was 215 on that usual auction site. I've actually never used mine (for the reasons you stated). I spose I should at least check....!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 03:29 AM

I have used my 10A cable on numerous occasions, always without trouble. But following my latest incident with charging Mk wants my cable back for checking - it's being collected today so it will be interesting to hear what tests they carry out on it and what results. I'm 99.99% certain that the cable did not cause my problem; after all it was only tried after the wall chargepoint had failed to work and the chance of two systems failing at the same time is as remote as trying to find a missing plane.

What I have never used is the cable supplied with the car. I really should try it as I remember the warning that some of them are faulty and can overheat.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

Might try my luck on the well known internet auction site.

Is the cable bespoke to Renault, or can other EV's use it ?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

I'm sure their (Renault's) cable will be EV blue but no different to any other Type 1 to Type 2 connector irrespective of colour. I'm actually looking out for a 3m yellow coiled version. Some helpful chap decided to drag my slack cable into a pool of oil in an adjacent bay, which could not have been done if it was a coiled version!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 11:49 AM
Eep

Use mine at work where the charge point is not yet installed. Car is charged when I come back to it in the evening, which is all that's important.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 12:53 PM

I looked for someone selling coiled leads some time ago, and found a Dutch company that has resellers here that do a 16A green coiled lead.

Can't quite remember who it was, but could look it up again for you. They did want 300 for it at the time though, so went for the 'straight' 200 32A ZCW lead instead.

I have heard that Vauxhall sell the 3-pin granny lead for the Ampera at 250. Been meaning to phone up to see. It could be limited to 8A, some are (keep an eye out for that on ebay listings if you really 'want' a 10A lead), but 8A might still suit.

Renault have the Type1-Type2 lead listed as a 75 option for the Kangoo, I wonder if they actually resell it at that price?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page