220V charge cable - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

220V charge cable

Hi,

I am about to purchase a 2014 Fluence ZE Dynamique from someone who won it in Ireland.
Getting a decent price so I'm, happy with the idea of having an EV.

The install of the charge point is being done for free as part of the government initiative here but I have a couple of questions:

- where can I purchase the 'occasional charge' cable or granny cable as some people mention. Can it be bought from other suppliers and not Renault only? I'd really want one of these for the piece of mind it brings with the current lack of charge points in Ireland still.
- many of the brochures from Renault state that the Fluence ZE will be able to take fast charges soon, has this already become possible or does anyone know if Renault have effectively stopped any further development on the Fluence.

Thanks all,
Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 05:12 AM

RE: 220V charge cable

I put one on e bay last night !
Bought it last December, but my Fluence was written off last month. Replacement Fluence came with the charger hence its up for sale
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 05:20 AM

Any lead from domestic plug to a J1772 plug to fit the Fluence should do. It is part of the J1772 standard that any should work.

I say 'should' because in these early EV days, anything can happen!

You may find some other manufacturers make an 8A lead rather than a 10A lead. It should still be fine, just that it'd charge slower, but don't hold me to that! I have heard that Opel/Vauxhall sell the lead for the Volt for 250. not sure if that is true.
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

Fluences have ALWAYS taken a Fast charge, and I can complete this from empty in a little over 4 hours. Where are you in Ireland? The number of Chargepoints is quite respectable and from memory is better than Scotland - used the Plugshare app to check. (They cannot take a Rapid charge, as they were designed for a battery swap instead).

As for the 'occasional' charge cable, after 2 months I've never needed to take mine out of its ZE bag, there has always been a T2 post somewhere.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzby
Fluences have ALWAYS taken a Fast charge, and I can complete this from empty in a little over 4 hours.
errr... I beg to differ m'Lord. Charging of the Fluence is limited to 3.5kW, considered 'slow' charging'. Should take ~7 hrs from fully empty, as the charge rate slows down in the last 45 mins of constant voltage charging.

Fluence has never been fitted with any other charger than the 3.5kW charger. There is talk of the Smasung SM3 being fitted with the 43kW Chameleon charger.

post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzby
Fluences have ALWAYS taken a Fast charge, and I can complete this from empty in a little over 4 hours.
errr... I beg to differ m'Lord. Charging of the Fluence is limited to 3.5kW, considered 'slow' charging'. Should take ~7 hrs from fully empty, as the charge rate slows down in the last 45 mins of constant voltage charging.

Fluence has never been fitted with any other charger than the 3.5kW charger. There is talk of the Smasung SM3 being fitted with the 43kW Chameleon charger.

Thanks Buzby, this is exactly the problem I'm facing that I get different information from different sources. Renault stated in early 2013 that the Fluence ZE would soon be able to take a fast charge, but nothing after that.
What type of % charge do people get on say a half hour 3.5kW charge at a charging station (if I was caught out somewhere and had to get someplace)?
Thanks
ed
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 06:13 AM

At 3.5kW you get 10 miles of charge for each hour of charging, roughly speaking, or 7~8 miles per hour off a 2.2kW domestic socket.

Yes, there was talk of all sorts of development for Fluence ZE. There was even a press release of the 2014 facelift. But Fluence is now dead for Renault. You will not see any of the nicely suggestions they had hoped for. If they had sold it with a battery and gave the same pricecuts as Leaf gets, things could have been so different.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 12:39 PM
Eep

I'd just like to add that it remains a remarkable ownership proposition. So much so that after having chewed my way through sixty or more internal combustion cars I've now come to strange realisation I don't want another. Ever. And it's all down to a car pretty much nobody knows about.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know what your S/w level is Donald but depending on the T2 post I connect to, I can take a standard or an accelerated charge.

It shows on your map display depending on whether you have logged in at that location previously. Some sites are standard 3.5Kw however when connected to a 7Kw post I can recharge from flat (3m range) in 4.75 hrs - 7hrs I have never experienced, nor 10 using the domestic mains brick (as I have never unpacked the latter).

Are you of the view that the accelerated charging doesn't exist, or is somehow pr puffery? It is not unreasonable to refer to this as Fast (as it certainly uses Fast Chargepoints) but sadly not rapid.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 06:57 PM

I have a 7kW charge point with a 32A lead. But Fluence still draws at 3.5kW. That's because the model was only ever spec'd with a 3.5kW charger.

If you can charge in 4.5hrs, then IMHO there is more likely to be something wrong with your battery capacity that you have a unique Fluence with a 7kW charger.

A 7kW charge should take no more than 3.5 hrs from flat to 22kWh worth, and a 3.5kW charge should take 6.5. If you have a nominal 22kWh battery but it is running with 75% capacity (or you are charging from 25% capacity), it would take around 4.5hrs to charge at 3.5kW.

What does the timer say for estimated recharge time when the SOC needle is in the red and you're plugged into a 7kW charger? Can you take a photo of the SOC meter and the est. charger time in the same shot? Maybe Renault did try out a 6.6kW charger on your car? As things stand, anything could be possible!!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page