The joys of EV ownership - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

The joys of EV ownership

The joys of EV ownership! After 3 weeks holiday for the Fluence at the dealership it was due back today. And it rolled up all gleaming and polished. Great, can get rid of the nasty little Toyota! A quick check around and then my eyes dropped and - oh no, a flat tyre! Much scratching of heads and a quick call and out with the goo and the electric pump to get the car back to MK. Those dozens of thumbnail sketches on how to do it certainly didn''t help, nor did the instruction to make sure the handbrake was on and the engine started! The next hurdle was the 25 miles back to base as the car proclaimed it had just - you guessed - 25 miles left in the battery. Now the wait for a new tyre to be delivered and the battery to charge.Ah well, back to the delights of a 3 cylinder rattlebox I suppose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 01:23 PM

RE: The joys of EV ownership

Crap service. After trundling around X places, it has picked up someone's careless inattention to dropping crap by someone's careless don't care attitude to moving the car around.

I really hate handing my cars over to anyone, any time. I have very rarely been given what I consider exemplary service. Skoda in Rugby used to do a good job (I don't think they are there any more) and Renault in Solihull are generally on the ball too, but even Skoda gave me a car back once in need of more 'un-work' they caused.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 06:06 PM
Eep

The only dealer I've actually liked was my local Jaguar franchise. As a brand Jaguar come out tops on dealer satisfaction surveys and if my lot are representative of the network then it's easy to see why. The local Renault dealer is a nightmare by comparison.

Warranty aside does one have to have the car serviced on schedule for the battery agreement or any other reason? I'm wondering if given the value of the car it might not be worth bothering. If these things are now selling for little more than 6K at main dealers with basically no mileage, older examples with higher numbers on the clock can't be worth much more than 3K trade.

If a service involves charging you an arbitrary sum of money that is actually a significant percentage of the value of the car and then flattening your tyre I may as well not bother!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 06:39 PM

Agreed. The battery rental demands a 2 yearly filter replacement. But bear in mind that any drivetrain warranty work will cost 1,000s, and if you give them an excuse not to fulfil the warranty, they'll probably take it.

I don't really know why people think EVs will cost less in maintenance. Yes, there are fewer parts, but when they go wrong, oh boy will it cost!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

I haven't got round to asking the garage to perform a service on the car yet, but I have printed out my 4+ package certificate just in case they dispute that it should be free. Seeing that they've had the car for almost a month and sent me a letter saying my service was due, you would think they would have done the service while they had the car. of course, they might have done just that but ...........
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Well, the car's back with me again.

The good news is that it got here. Lucky, really, as they hadn't charged it so it's now indicating ZERO miles left! Now to see if it charges.....

The poor girls who delivered it will have a nightmare going back to base as the clutch on their car has failed, good job there's a circular route back to the main road but 25 miles without a clutch? Not good.

Sounds like a right good quality dealership???
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

After depressing you lot with my recent experiences it's time to say that now my car's back with me I tested the wall charger and it worked - Chargemaster's replacement unit has flimsier cabling and a white connector that's not a patch on the old one. I used up the battery and last night charged via the 10A cable. No problems and my achieved range was 89 miles. Of course, with the garage fiddling about the "estimated range" is reported as 67 but I know that's rubbish, but it will adjust itself eventually.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page