Planning a long journey - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Planning a long journey

I have been planning a journey to North Wales from Bicester for a couple of weeks. The easy option is to use a hire car, in which case I could just about manage the return trip plus meetings in a single exhausting day. The alternative would be to take Blue and make a short break of it. However I need to see if such a venture is possible.

Starting with a full battery I can make the Welcome Break on the M42 (56 miles) and top up, taking a 4 hour breather. From then on I'm not sure where I can charge, Ecotricity don't seem to have anything and I'm not supporting Chargemaster's rip-off pricing for us slow charge owners (dearer than petrol).

I need to head to Llangollen for an overnight stop, or possibly head towards Blauenau Ffestiniog cross-country. Has anyone got experience of these routes and are there any hotels that offer charging? The only one I know of is Bryn Bella at Betws-y-Coed and they are at the furthest end of my travels so no use to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 02:09 PM

RE: Planning a long journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by william
I have been planning a journey to North Wales from Bicester for a couple of weeks. The easy option is to use a hire car, in which case I could just about manage the return trip plus meetings in a single exhausting day. The alternative would be to take Blue and make a short break of it. However I need to see if such a venture is possible.

Starting with a full battery I can make the Welcome Break on the M42 (56 miles) and top up, taking a 4 hour breather. From then on I'm not sure where I can charge, Ecotricity don't seem to have anything and I'm not supporting Chargemaster's rip-off pricing for us slow charge owners (dearer than petrol).

I need to head to Llangollen for an overnight stop, or possibly head towards Blauenau Ffestiniog cross-country. Has anyone got experience of these routes and are there any hotels that offer charging? The only one I know of is Bryn Bella at Betws-y-Coed and they are at the furthest end of my travels so no use to me.
the majority of chargemaster points remain free if you check their website. I think all the asda still free?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice. Clearly we seem to find ourselves in a similar position if attempting a long journey. In my case the first leg would be straightforward, just 56 miles so easy-peasey. From there on the next stop would have to be 84 miles further on - pushing it to the limit especially at keeping up with the traffic speeds. All alternative charge points are either Renault dealers (not working yet) or Nissan (Nissan owners only) or ones where you have to pay entry to some location first! Then when I get where I'm going there's still nowhere to charge unless the hotelier takes pity on me. And if all went well my journey to view houses would take 4 days and a big hotel bill, something an ICE car could do at a push in one day.

At least I don't suffer from the Leaf syndrome, hopping from one fast charge point to another - trying to find one that works......

Sorry Electricdream, I forgot to mention your post. It appears that now many Asda points are Polar chargeable ones but reading on the Leaf forum Asda points are notorious for being blocked by ICE cars and the management is unable (unwilling) to do anything about it.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 03:50 AM

Quote:

Sorry Electricdream, I forgot to mention your post. It appears that now many Asda points are Polar chargeable ones but reading on the Leaf forum Asda points are notorious for being blocked by ICE cars and the management is unable (unwilling) to do anything about it.
Checking on Chargemaster website (Live Map) the 5 Asda's in Wales are still free to use. All in Scotland are free and I am assuming all in England are free although I have not had time to check them all. I delivered my car 325 miles via the Asda network. Yes there was some ICE vehicles squatting but there are generally 4 spaces available and I could always get one.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Having found confusing information about Asda chargepoints en route my trip (tomorrow) will be in a nasty little ICE hire car. At least (in theory) I can do the whole trip in one day instead of four!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Having found confusing information about Asda chargepoints en route my trip (tomorrow) will be in a nasty little ICE hire car. At least (in theory) I can do the whole trip in one day instead of four!
Confusing in what aspect? Check the live map if it says 0 then it is free to use, although you have to pay 20 annual fee for the card. I have one as it is handy to get free charging when shopping at Asda? I would refuse to use a pay by the hour one though, unless it was a dire emergency

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Ah, back from Wales. 400 miles in a day including three appointments scattered across the country, hour upon hour of torrential rain making motorway driving impossible, three sessions with estate agents listening to their excuses for why their details were economical with the truth, one delicious baguette and a portion of fish and chips shared with the dog to pacify him on arrival home. You ask how did the EV do? Not at all, I chickened out and took a Toyota Aygo. I've a sneaky feeling that the whole day (13.5 hours) might have been too much for Fluence. Maybe a Tesla next time? Where's that lottery ticket.....
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 09:11 AM

You did it right. This is the scenario with electric cars at present, we use them as much as possible and then when we have a long trip, we rent. It's how it should be. The daft thing is to buy a car big enough to do the longest journey we did, perhaps only once a year. And then we'd be in the wrong car for the rest of the time, spewing fumes and paying through the nose at the pumps.

"What do you do when you want to load up and go on holiday?"

"We rent a bigger car. Why, isn't that what do you do?"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page