Off peak electricity usage - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Off peak electricity usage

To all you chaps that are on an economy 7 tariff, what is your percentage usage off-peak. I am currently on a standard tariff but was thinking moving to economy 7. I am using 12000kWh per annum now that I have the Fluence. Don't like the idea of waiting up to midnight to start the charge but the savings may ease the pain of having to do so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 01:59 PM

RE: Off peak electricity usage

Electricdream, I have mine set at 45% offpeak. Mind you, I live alone (correction, no other humans here) so there's no-one to hog the hot water through the day! When I can be bothered I set washer-drier and dishwasher to come on at offpeak hours, which helps, though I'm faster at washing up than the machine.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 02:23 PM

Of course, depends on mileage and family. But I'd say to people, if you do 6,000 miles/year and have more than one person in the house, I doubt it makes sense to use economy tariff. If you do lots more than 6k miles, and/or only live by yourself, it might work out.

I believe william already has/had overnight rates for his storage heating, so it is a no brainer then.

I thought we were profligate users of electricity! My family and I use around 20 to 25kWh daily, and my EV miles appear to add an average of 5kWh per day. The dishwasher and washing machine are usually running at some point overnight, but they would only use a couple of kWh so there is no real saving to be made there by going for an overnight tariff.

If this EV nonsense ever takes off, then of course there will be more electricity drawn at night and will no longer make sense for electricity companies to offer lower rates at night, because ALL times will then be peak rate!
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald

I thought we were profligate users of electricity! My family and I use around 20 to 25kWh daily, and my EV miles appear to add an average of 5kWh per day.
I have doubled my electricity consumption since getting the Fluence. I'm doing 12,000miles per annum so I'm thinking it may be worth it. Flow energy are doing 5.28p per kwh but a high day rate. As long as I doing 55% or more at night I will save on that.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 06:17 PM

So if you can do all your Fluence charging at night, say 4,000 kWh/yr, and save 10p/kWh, then 400 sounds like it is a worthwhile saving.

However, if you struggle to shift much of your other 8,000 kWh usage to the night rate then you have to make sure the dual-tariff day rate costs no more than 5p/kWh extra over the single-tariff rate, else you'll be losing out once you also take the extra daily service costs into account too.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 02:32 PM

Anyone using/considering solar?

The returns can be very good thanks to the feed-in tariffs, and I mainly work from home so I could charge during the day when the sun's shining.

Still need to investigate it in more detail, though.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 06:52 PM

I placed an order today for solar panels to be fitted in a couple of weeks.

I am having a 4Kw system installed with micro-inverters. I am south facing with a large roof and hope to get the most I can from this source including an attractive feed in tariff.

I will change my charging habits for the Fluence and where possible charge it Saturday and Sunday morning and do a top up charge in the evening on a working week day when required.

I want to get all I can from the panels and minimise my feed back to the grid ( approx 4p a unit paid). I am also installing a solar divert switch to power my immersion heater when I can from the solar panels.

I will derive some smug satisfaction driving the Fluence around from solar power.

I will have web access to the micro-inverters to track their production. I am more than willing to answer any questions on the panels and share my results from the solar panels output. I guess as it is not directly related to the topic of this forum that this might be best done in private.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 03:34 AM

Solar panels have made sense for a while now, since 20 year warranties have been started to be offered on them. 15 to 20 years is the real payback on a solar installation, but the FIT obviously reduces that to a much shorter time. If you have the money available and an unshaded south facing roof it's a no brainer IMHO. I've had neither, unfortunately. My rooves are dead east-west. I was considering putting some up on the east facing roof, but it is also shaded by some trees during certain hours of the day meaning I'd need blocking diodes throughout and an even poorer performance of the array.

If you can, do it. Driving around on sunlight. How cool is that?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 04:02 AM

It must be my age but 've always thought of solar as the scam to replace the double glazine scam. I guess I'm well out of date. Looking for a new house in Snowdonia I've come across one that has solar panels, wood pellet central heating and everything computer controlled. It excites the scientist in me but less attractive is the markup on the selling price. But, let's face it, if Renauilt could sell me a Fluence maybe the seller could sell me his house???
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william
let's face it, if Renauilt could sell me a Fluence maybe the seller could sell me his house???
So are you saying the vendor is being evasive on the details, knows little about the house, makes comments that are largely in error, knows little about the market he is selling into, insists on keeping some of the house which he'll rent back to you, and can only offer promises that he looks like he'll not be able to fulfil in the future?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page