Record charge time - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Eep

Record charge time

Slightly frivolous thread, but then it's a short week and the sun is out.

Plugged into a 240V domestic socket at work this morning, the wall charging point still not installed yet, and with the SOC meter almost on its bump stop the car showed 8:00 as the estimated time to recharge. That's a whopping 20 minutes more than any time I've previously seen.

Can anyone beat that? And why would it suddenly take so much longer to charge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 06:31 AM

RE: Record charge time

Eep, using the 10A cable and charging from around a quarter full takes me about 6h 45m - so your 8h for a full charge is spot on.

What I've noticed is that charges take LONGER in the summer because you are putting in the power to take you FURTHER than in the winter. Strange, but true!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 08:51 AM

I'm still unable to figure out what is going on with your car, Eep. The 'brick' limits current to 10A, so that should be 2.3kW. 8 hrs at 2.3 kW is 18kWh.

On the brick-lead, mine typically read* 10hr 30 mins on plug-in, and will tend to go up to 11 hrs before dropping back again quickly to 10hrs. I'd guess the charger is just 'testing the waters', so to speak, to see how the battery is taking on the charge.

(*'read', past tense, as in I have not done this since I first had the car when there was not a charge-point installed)

10hrs x 2.3kWh is 23kWh.

Do you not think this sounds suscpiciously like you might have a battery with a degraded capacity?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Eep

When you put it like that, yes. I will keep an eye and report back.

Returned to the car this evening, and after 9 hours' charge time it was still showing 1:05 remaining.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 01:35 PM

It could be interesting to try the brick lead again after a year of not using it, see whether mine still comes up with those numbers, or whether it might signify any battery loss.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 03:21 PM

I just noticed your add-on comment, which I missed as I had just posted my own.

OK, so the actual time seems to be more like 10 hrs. Sounds about right to me .....

Maybe your particular BMS tends to get it wrong about battery SOC, hence what I would have considered a 'low' charge time estimate and the suspiciously short charging times according to your app. If you are due to do a run on a weekend afternoon, or whenever you get a day off, might be interesting to leave it flat until the morning, start charging and then monitor how long it actually takes, so you can go look at the car and see if it is really fully charged for the time you are due to drive off and when your app says it is charged.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Eep

I'll do that. And thanks for your input. Grateful for your knowledge on things electric as mine is near to zero.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 04:10 AM

I've just spent ages plotting my log of miles gone against charging time over 50 recharges and the results are, as near as dammit, random, which rather disproves my earlier post. Sorry about that.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page