Trade In Value - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

Trade In Value

In a fit of madness I decided to have a look at the price of Zoe. Looks like you can pick up one for less than 11k now. I have a Ecotricity rapid charge 2 miles from my house. I reckoned I could go there every day and read the paper while rapid charging. Yes I would knacker the battery but I don't care as it is leased right? I enquired about the trade in price of my Fluence and was offered between 4 and 4.5k.

Think I'll wait a couple of years!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 07:09 AM

RE: Trade In Value

So you fancy abandoning the space and comfort of your Fluence for the tight dimensions of a Zoe? I've only had a close look at one, in black with oversize black tombstone front seats - if it wasn't for the colour I reckon I'd have felt like a pea in a pod!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by william
So you fancy abandoning the space and comfort of your Fluence for the tight dimensions of a Zoe? I've only had a close look at one, in black with oversize black tombstone front seats - if it wasn't for the colour I reckon I'd have felt like a pea in a pod!
Not really just a moment of madness. Things have moved on since I bought the Fluence, namely extension of the ecotricity motorway network into Scotland plus all UK Ikea having them also. Theoretically I could do Glasgow to London in 5 stops which would take me an additional 2.5 hours over using an ICE. And to top it all off that journey would cost me zip. However I ain't going to pay 6k for the privilege. If Zoe and Fluence were both same price and the network was in place last year I may have went for a Zoe. Come the end of my 3 year battery lease I may get a Zoe if they are cheap enough. I certainly don't want to go back to an ICE and the only sub 10k alternative is the Leaf which is ugly in the extreme.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 02:42 PM

It's funny you say these things - I test drove a Kangoo ZE ages back and said I'd be interested to try the Zoe before making a decision about taking on an electric car. Never heard from them again.

Fast forward a few months, to this time last year, I happened to be in the dealership for parts, and sat in a Zoe they had in the showroom. I literally got out as soon as I got in! It just felt wrong. I though I could learn to love a Zoe and it would make me feel all 'new' and 'clean', in a civilising sort of way (if that makes any sense! - basically, like the Fluence does!). As mentioned, it was like a tomb in the back and not at all as spacious as I thought. I have also been in a few Leafs and that was 'marginally better'. I'm told it feels even smaller with the darker interiors of the Gen 2 models to the light coloured Gen 1s.

Oddly and conversely enough, having seen the Zoe it was then easy for me to make a decision to go look at a Fluence once the prices dipped under 10k.

I could consider a Zoe, but I would have to be looking at a different interior to the one I saw.

Who quoted the trade-in price? Presumably it was a Renault dealer? Did you get it in writing?

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 10:22 AM

We looked at the Zoe and enjoyed driving it. It is too small for our needs. It has as many seats as the Fluence we now have, and the Zoe is a great city car that I would buy if we lived in a city.

But City cars don't make good cars on A-roads, which is what we normally use. They have a shorter wheelbase, and the crumple zones are not there, so comfort, stability and safety are compromised.

Sure, city cars can zip up the motorway, and are improved over earlier generations, but it's not their forte. For my mix of open roads, motorways and very little town driving, the Fluence is a better choice.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 09:42 AM
Eep

The Fluence is a pretty exceptional choice, all things considered. Curse materialist brand obsession, Renault's virtually non-existent marketing, and the public perception that EVs are milkfloats for the fact they didn't sell enough and don't make it any more.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelPowell
We looked at the Zoe and enjoyed driving it. It is too small for our needs. It has as many seats as the Fluence we now have, and the Zoe is a great city car that I would buy if we lived in a city.

But City cars don't make good cars on A-roads, which is what we normally use. They have a shorter wheelbase, and the crumple zones are not there, so comfort, stability and safety are compromised.

Sure, city cars can zip up the motorway, and are improved over earlier generations, but it's not their forte. For my mix of open roads, motorways and very little town driving, the Fluence is a better choice.
The Fluence is undoubtedly the better choice as a car. My original point was that now that the fast charge network has been expanded to Scotland and all UK Ikea's then the Zoe may NOW be a better choice. The only advantage the Zoe has is the fast charge, now the Fluence with fast charge that would be an outstanding E.V. The possibility that I could drive from Glasgow to London for NOTHING is quite appealing.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page