Exporting used Fluence from UK? - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Exporting used Fluence from UK?

As far as it understand EV's in Uk are subsidised. I.e. you get a 5000 price reduction on the price of your EV.

Does that mean that you can't buy a second hand Fluence in Uk andregister it in another country? Or is it possible, it's just that you have to return the 5000? Or how does this work?

Second hand prices for Fluence seems extremely low in UK, so I guess there must be some catch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 08:03 PM

RE: Exporting used Fluence from UK?

I suppose one complication would be Renault UK/RCI's ownership of the battery. - would they allow the battery to be rented by a non-UK resident and to live outside the UK?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 10:09 AM

The 5,000 goes to the manufacturer on registration of the car. The private consumer has nothing to do with it.

Fluence battery in the UK is the property of RCI UK. It is not permitted to use the battery outside the UK for more than 30 days.

Nissan Leafs (sold with their batteries) are plentiful, though, and even if Renault were to sell the batteries with the cars, would still probably come to more than you can get a Leaf for. You can buy a Gen 1 or a Gen 2 non-flex car and import it into DK, no problem.

Don't fancy a Leaf?

There is a chap who has posted here from Czech that has bought Fluences from France though, battery-and-all. You might still find it is possible from French sources, buying the battery outright and free of battery rental issues, and would be LHD to boot.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 01:11 PM

All prices for second hand cars seem low here in the UK when I compare them with cars for sale in France and Sweden, for example. I suspect it's because we are too poor to buy cars outright, so it's cheaper to lease using a small deposit, and paying monthly.

Beware the pitfalls of registering a car elsewhere in Europe, though, this can cost more than necessary. And insurance companies ask us whether we have a UK supplied and right-hand drive car, so presumably they intend to charge more if that isn't the case. Perhaps it will add to your costs too.

But even then the cost saving does seem to make it worthwhile. Perhaps you can make a business from doing it. Not long ago our Skodas were being rounded up and sent to Russia for sale, and there was a healthy market in importing used Japanese cars to this country, so something along these lines does work. And of course there are plenty of stories of expensive cars being stolen and sent to the Middle East for sale. But that's a different story.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelPowell
But even then the cost saving does seem to make it worthwhile.
How does it make it worthwhile, if you can only use it for 30 days every year?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page