It's official: Summer has arrived - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

It's official: Summer has arrived

Yes, I have to confirm that my Fluence confirms the arrival of summer. I know some of you will be watching a thunderstorm out of the window as you read this but the figures prove it. My last charge exceeded the magic 100 number, with an actual range achieved of 103 miles (including 13 miles unused).

A more remarkable figure, if it's to be believed, is the average miles/kwh figure for that charge period of a remarkable 5.91 m/kwh.

Taking these two figures together that calculates out at an actual energy consumption figure of 15.22 kw over 90 miles, or extrapolating, 17.4 kw for the 103 miles.

According to Renault the battery has a usable capacity of 22kwh so where has the rest gone? Surely you're not going to tell me that the battery has lost 4.6kwh and that when new the car would have achieved a range of not 103 but 130 miles?

I cannot make these figures add up but I'm not grumbling, 103 per charge will suit me nicely, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 06:44 AM

RE: It's official: Summer has arrived

I would hazard a guess you were doing a lot of regen during that drive, and you have ended up with an artificially high figure. It is the only way I believe that figure is possible. If so, you were no where near 5.91mi/kWh because that figure appears to measure regen energy back into the battery as if it were going to be 100% reconverted back into miles, whereas in reality you firstly have charging losses, and then you have discharging losses.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

I doubt it's all down to regeneration as the 100 miles was gentle driving on largely flat roads so not much opportunity for regen. I reckon owning a Fluence is a bit like owning a teenager - predictably unpredictable....... except that teenagers hopedully grow out of it!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 07:41 PM

I've always been envious of William's reports of 100 miles plus range, so today I went for a spin to see how close I could get. I covered 93.5 miles and had I think 4 or 5 miles on the range readout, which suddenly just changed to dashes - so tantalisingly close.

I mostly drove gently on open roads at 50-60 mph, a bit more at times on the A14 dual carriageway. No special economy techniques, and air con on all the time with temp on low and the fan on one full fan blade.

I think with a little more care and dropping the air con, I could get comfortably over 100.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 03:20 AM

I went for a 100 mile run to a Lincolnshire location (so, generally flat, en route) and got to the destination with 52 mile covered and indicating more than half a battery SOC remaining.

Sufficiently confident for the return journey I put the AC on, but the miles/octal dropped enough that I had doubts making it back, so had to turn that off.

AC is efficient, but it does suck up some juice. Tip; leave it on recirculation when the outside temp is higher than your set temp.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

Before we all get too cocky about our 100 mile range I must report that, talking to my dealer yesterday, he said that they had achieved a range of 140 in one of their Zoes. Of course, this could be a fisherman's tale or a cack-handed method of persuading me (trying) to consider a Zoe as a replacement. Strangely, there was no Zoe in the showroom nor outside that I could see, only a Twizzy. What an engineering marvel, amazing what can be done with plastic and a 3D printer these days......
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 04:48 AM

Donald's post reminds me of an effect I've noticed several times.

I think I may have been able to get a better result than normal yesterday because I set out to do my miles in one continuous stint of driving.

Most of my longer drives involve going somewhere, say, 30-35 miles away, leaving the car for a bit to do shopping or other stuff, then driving back.

On the first leg, I usually have a very encouraging distance covered plus range remaining figure, which then almost always stagnates a bit on the return leg. I'm wondering what causes this. Something to do with the battery cooling during the stop and needing to get back up to temperature? Does manoeuvring in car parks and so on use up a disproportionate amount of juice? Or is it just something to do with the way the guessometer works rather than a true effect (I think the range indicator starts to behave more pessimistically towards the lower end of the scale)?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

Much of my driving is on twisty country roads at low speeds. The low speed probably helps range but I'm pretty sure that the twisty bits, junctions and so on use energy as the car slows and has to be brought back up to speed. So logically a long steady speed should be beneficial.

Two charges ago I achieved my 103 with my normal driving. Yesterday, dashing to the dealer in Milton Keynes and back I drove to keep up with the traffic with no regard for economy and still achieved 91, with rather cooler conditions than before. I suspect the same run driving economically might have bettered the 103 figure - but who wants to waste time driving to Milton Keynes, the original concrete jungle (complete with concrete cows, for those who don't know!).

I hope brisk steady long runs are good for the car or my dreams of a move to north wales will come to nothing - chargepoints en route? Almost none, so long stints would be the order of the day (or several).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page