The Guessometer - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

The Guessometer

The Guessometer
Leaf owners are vocal in their criticism of the car's "guessometer" that tries to predict remaining mileage and gets it hopelessly wrong, going up and down like a yoyo as the car drives along.

I always though that this was one thing Renault got right. Reading inaccurately when we get our cars, the prediction soon adjusts to our driving and becomes , well, pretty accurate.

It's certainly been so for me but since my car went to the dealer for "WORK" the range figure has been hopelessly out. It started out at around 65 (which appears to be a sort of default figure) and in 9 recharges it has remained close to that figure while actual mileage has varied from 80+ to 100+. Only once did it attempt to reflect the truth, when it suggested 107 following an actual acieved 104.

What have they done to my car or are other people finding that Renault's computer has delveloped a glitch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 05:40 AM

RE: The Guessometer

I don't use it, but when it flashes by in the menus I usually make a mental note that it is always a little pessimistic on how many miles are left. Pessimistic is probably a good thing. I'm surprised it suggested a figure over 100 miles at all, to be honest.

The SOC seems very dependable and the car always delivers a certain mileage per 'octal' that I find I can easily predict given the driving style/conditions I choose/stuck with.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Yes, the SOC readout is very dependable, just allowing for winter/summer. But the guessometer has worked pretty well in the past so something has happened. No point asking, though!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 07:17 AM

The main reason I don't use it is because my brain really doesn't work based on distance left, and nor does my mileage today depend on how I was driving yesterday! I usually don't know where I am mid-journey, what good is a range estimation?

So instead if, for example, I know I have an 80 mile journey I need to make sure I am doing not less than 10 miles for each octal on the SOC. After a half hour, I have no clue how much further I need to go but all I do is note the mileage shown every time the needle gets to the next octal mark.

The range estimate could be miles out in either direction, and becomes a function of how I was driving yesterday, not today. Fat lot of good that is!!

If I only have 60 miles to do, all I do is make sure I am getting at least 8 miles per octal.

On my best-ever 122 mile trip I noted that I was getting 15 miles between octals. Not a common sight....
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 04:24 AM
Eep

Indeed. I forgot to charge the car at work yesterday. Parked up in the slot, meant to go inside and hang the cable out the window (charge point still not installed), but got sidetracked the moment I stepped inside.

Came to go home and with the needle near the red saw the Guessometer was showing 12 miles. My journey is about 11 miles, depending on which route I take to avoid snarl ups. Knowing that the estimate could only have been based on the way I drove in - and having proven to myself that the car can go xx number of trips between top-ups, I now drive to enjoy the torque - I drove like an agoraphobic nun all the way home, and by the time I reached the front door it was showing... 11 miles!

Incidentally I've discovered that if I hoof it away from standstill and reach the desired speed swiftly there is no discernible difference to creeping out of junctions with a feather foot.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 08:01 AM

... or perhaps a 'tachophobic' nun (or monk?)!

I am not convinced by your finding about fast acels. I would agree it makes barely any noticeable difference, but I do not believe it is zero as I have done the same studies myself and after attempting several 'standardised' commutes with various variations in the driving it does appear to drain.

However, that being said, if you do these fast accels farily early in your drive then it has an effect to heat up your battery (because drawing higher currents is always more lossy than lower currents) and a warmer battery will then deliver energy more efficiently for the rest of your drive. I believe I have noticed this effect before in winter time. This effect lessens in warmer weather.

The other 'slight' issue with drawing high current is that, AFAIK, you cause accelerated degradation of the electrolyte. Again, I doubt whether you would ever notice this, and who is ever going to run a controlled experiment to compare the lifetime of one Fluence to another?

End of the day, drive as you please. I am sure the effects one way or other will be barely noticeable. I'd recommend just driving it as you would drive any other car.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 04:12 PM
Eep

I don't tend to drive other cars like the Fluence because they're hard work when worked hard. If you know what I mean. To get smartly to 40mph in the Fluence requires a depress of the accelerator and an enjoy of all the torque. Part of the fun is in reeling back from 80KW so the tyres don't slip or rebound noisily in poor tarmac. In the wife's car a standing start requires feeding in the clutch, revving noisily past 6,500rpm and then grabbing another gear - something I do rather clumsily more and more these days, much to the other half's amusement, such is the amount of time I spend away from a manual.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page