post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Which would you have?

This or your Fluence ZE?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/1?logcode=p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 07:49 AM

RE: Which would you have?

Yeah, the booted versions have always been available and were sold in Eire, so a few have found their way to NI.

On the subject, it was my understanding that Fluence ZE is not a 'pure' conversion of an ICE - it was always intended to be made available in an EV form so is not 'excusively' an ICE design, hence the extended boot looks very much like it was designed that way - because it was.

I'm not entirely sure how true that is, but that was my understanding.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 01:45 PM
Eep

Still seems odd they'd make an additional ZE variant a few inches longer rather than make one-size-fits-all and just give the ICE cars a slightly larger boot. Either way it's not an EV centric design like the LEAF, i3 or any Tesla in that you can also order it with petrol or diesel under the big flap at the front
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 03:16 PM

Personally speaking, the very fact that it is not 'EV centric' makes it more appealing to me. I hope the trend continues to design cars with electricity as a fuel option.

There are several reasons - here's a couple;

- It uses the same parts as other models, so bits are easier to find and replace, and cost less in repairs.
- It doesn't use the underfloor space for batteries - the temptation to do this is so great only the Fluence does not do so, and the difference is that the interior vertical space is so much more enjoyable and friendly. I dislike the cramped space of other EVs (Kangoo aside).
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 03:43 PM
Eep

I'm guessing also that the fact the batteries are in a pack which can be cooled in its entirety makes for greater longevity. Having the cells under the floorpan and across the platform of the car presumably means getting hotter or more fans?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 04:00 PM

It makes no sense not to have active cooling on Li EV batteries, it is a recipe for short life, so it should make little difference how they are actually 'packed'.

Oh, err.. oh yeah, the Leaf, Zoe and Kangoo all have no cooling....

I'm still not really sure the Fluence uses its battery cooling while in use, though, but rather for charging only. Heat will build up more easily in a 'monolith' than in a thin flat arrangement.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 04:09 PM
Eep

COnfess I've not heard the fans running while the car has been driven, or having returned from a drive, but they're certainly working when it's plugged in and charging. You have to presume that the engineers that did such a good job of transforming the car into an electric one had some idea as to what the best practice was in that department. Though as you say, competitive products seem to get by without active cooling.

Time will tell.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page