Polar instant App - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Polar instant App

Has anyone here experience of using the Polar Instant Android app to trigger a charge (and pay for it if necessary)? Rumour has it that it refuses to install on many mobiles (mine included) which appears to make it a large gamble or an expensive waste of a new phone. I have emailed Chargemaster and we'll see if I get a response. Text below:

"Both my mobiles are unsuitable to run this android app and I am very reluctant to invest my money in a third one just to see if it will work. Short of trial and error how can I make sure I am not throwing my money away? I cannot afford another branded phone so it would be a chinese-made one with android 4.0 or higher".

I'm not a lover of Chargemaster but if I aim to spread my wings beyond my local area this option seems almost sensible - though having to pay a non-refundable 20 deposit to use even free chargepoints does seem bizarre. But theoretically it avoids having a handful of RFID cards that seem to have dubious reliability anyway.[hr]
There's good news and bad.

P.S. Now I'm waiting for Donald to ask me why I bother at all. I must admit, I'm beginning to agree with him!

The good news is that I've already received a response to my email.

The bad news is that the suggestion is to sign up for an RFID card and forget the app. Hardly a good idea as the app has a means of locating all suitable charging points as I travel around, the RFID card assumes I know where they are!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

RE: Polar instant App

Yes - and I'm using it successfully on my iPhone. I certainly wasn't going to pay 20 simply to use ASDA Chargepoints (that are free) as Scotland have none in anywhere useful that I can discover.

There is a very useful hack tag allows you to purchase a 5 credit block and when credited, this banked to to unlock and use ASDA locations without giving to seek out someone who knew where the loaner RFID card was kept.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 10:12 AM

Not sure I really know what an 'Android App' is to comment.... What does it do, why bother?
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

It means you use your phone to authorise the charge session - unlocking, starting and stopping it with no need for an RFID card.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 01:20 PM

..who do you phone for that?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

I'm sure you really know, Donald, but just in case it's slipped your memory (and for those who haven't a clue) Polar is the new friendly face of Chargemaster. Chargemaster is the chargepoint owning company that has recently introduced a way of milking us all, Annual sub and high price charging, monthly and exorbitant, PAYG and bankruptcy! Leaf owners are up in arms about being charged per halfhour. If leaf owners realised how much worse the situation is for us poor slow-charging Fluences they'd never believe it!

I've yet to attempt to charge away from home - that's why a Fluence suited me. It still does, I just fancy a couple of trips to Wales in luxury rather than in a pokey little hire car.

The app, for iphone (or course) and android (only if you have one that works with it) allows you to find a point on a map on your phone, get to it, pay using the phone and hey presto! Chargemaster's suggestion to me to use a card presupposes I know where charge points are, whether they are functioning and available - or I'll be down to driving single-handed, turning the pages of the map as I race along - or stopping every few miles to check the route. If only the guidance to chargepoints worked on our cars! (or Zoes, I understand). Probably Leafs too, judging by the frequent requests for guidance on their forum.

The joys of being a new adopter. Like Video 2000, Digital compact cassettes.... anyone remember either of those? I fell for the lot!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Nobody - go to the App Store and download the Polar Instant thingy. You then register, add a CC number and the ability to unlock a post is activated.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 06:02 PM

Not sure we have an App store in my town. My phone is a Nokia 6210, so maybe they won't have the right plug for the download anyhow, seeing as it is an older phone than most? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_6210
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 02:15 AM
Super Moderator

It needs to be a smartphone I'm afraid. Go on, treat yourself!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 03:15 AM

I think my phone looks smart enough. Better than these dumb types with a flat screen and no buttons.

I suppose I could get a new phone. My 6210 used to stay charged for 3 weeks, now it is only 2 weeks so I guess it is getting old now. How long do these new phones' charge last now? Must be over a month, I guess?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page