Frequently ending charge! - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

Frequently ending charge!

Following my last post regarding a never-ending charge when using my wall charger, last night an even more bizarre situation developed. Check out my email list below:

[email protected] MY Z.E. ON LINE - End of Charge Notification 1:48
Unread Unread [email protected] MY Z.E. ON LINE - Start of Charge Notification 1:11
Unread Unread [email protected] MY Z.E. ON LINE - End of Charge Notification 1:10
Unread Unread [email protected] MY Z.E. ON LINE - Start of Charge Notification Sat, 16/8/14
Unread Unread [email protected] MY Z.E. ON LINE - End of Charge Notification Sat, 16/8/14
Unread Unread [email protected] MY Z.E. ON LINE - Start of Charge Notification Sat, 16/8/14
Read [email protected] MY Z.E. ON LINE - End of Charge Notification Sat, 16/8/14
Unread Unread [email protected] MY Z.E. ON LINE - End of Charge Notification Sat, 16/8/14
Read [email protected] MY Z.E. ON LINE - End of Charge Notification Sat, 16/8/14
Read [email protected] MY Z.E. ON LINE - Start of Charge Notification Fri, 15/8/14
Read [email protected] MY Z.E. ON LINE - End of Charge Notification Fri, 15/8/14
Read [email protected] MY Z.E. ON LINE - Start of Charge Notification Fri, 15/8/14

I do note that the layout of the Renault emails has changed from previously suggesting Renault have been playing with their servers - that would be the reassuring conclusion. Alternatively the charge was interrupted six times during the night for an unknown reason.

On Zoe forums there have been complaints recently about ZE services not reporting correctly and maybe this is related. However my last two charges have used the wall charger
and it is on these last two charges that problems have occured. Next charge I will revert to the 10A cable and see if everything goes back to normal - but maybe it won't as in the past month reporting of end of charge has not always happened withe 10A cable so the problem may not be at my end of the system.

P.S. Don't sorry about read/unread, it's me being lazy and not bothering to read every email!

P.P.S. Yes, the car DID charge - the last four emails reported 100% but with increasing range with each email!

If the charge did really keep disconnecting, that cannot do the car any good, surely?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

RE: Frequently ending charge!

Are you saying you think your wall point is interrupting the charge, or that your Renault emails are erroneous? I've seen similar issues, but it was the Chargepoint I was connected to that was erroneously ending the charge and on returning the display told me to unplug the lead - no need for a card. The durations were anything from 5 minutes, but certainly no longer than 20.

I used other Chargepoints with no issue, so I reported it to CYC as an issue.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 07:03 AM

In the first instance, I would imagine it is nothing more than a few 'brown-outs' overnight in the electricity supply. If you did not have this notification thing active, you'd have never known/seen any difference.

The on board charger will simply stop delivering charge to the battery once the supply power/voltage drops too far. I doubt they would have been hard power-offs, else you'd have heard house alarms going off in the night, or other evidence of such. Probably a few dips below 180V. Switch-ons are always smooth as they are controlled by the charger.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 11:49 AM

I have never found any issues with Renault ZE Services. It consistently sends me START/STOP charge notifications and logs all my data. It is a good product in my experience of it
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

Back to using the 10A cable last night, no problem. Everything is as it should be. Donald could be right about low voltage, on the other hand it could be the car or the wall charge. I'm on car no.2 and wall charger no.3 - ah well, it adds interest to a boring existence!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Update. After a few charges using the 10A cable with no problems whatsoever I reverted to the wall charger yesterday and once again the charge was interrupted, this time only twice. So I don't think the problem is voltage as it only happens with the wall charger. The end result is a fully charged car so it doesn't particularly inconvenience me, I just wonder whether stopping and starting charge in quick succession is good for the car?

I could call out Chargemaster, but I'm on unit No.3 already and total usage of these units is only somewhere around a dozen charges.

Charging time from just under a quarter worked out at 4h. 38 minutes. Chargemaster's log of my charging shows that the car was NOT charged at all - there's no record of me plugging in the car. And the records relating to previous charging has changed, several entries having vanished. So that's a useful system then?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william

I could call out Chargemaster, but I'm on unit No.3 already and total usage of these units is only somewhere around a dozen charges.
I am a month away form the anniversary of the install of my chargemaster wall unit. So at least 300 charges (allowing for my 3 weeks holiday) from my unit with no issues as yet.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 03:58 AM
Super Moderator

You really need to verify the voltage available for each method used - as without this there can be no common issue identified. Both under and over voltage stop a charge - I saw this often on the Twizy.

Further, the brick charge lead has additional protections that may have different parameters.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page