My first 'Danger' warning sign. - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

My first 'Danger' warning sign.

Due to collect someone a few miles away, cranked over key, amber light 'Electrical fault, motor' (or something like that), which then went away to be replaced by a red light 'Danger, Electrical Failure'.

Took an ICE and tried later. Fault did not repeat, like nothing had happened. Unfortunately, I had already had to burn up approximately the equivalent of the fossilised remnants of the circulatory system of one small Jurassic reptile, and caused 2 trillionths of a degree of global warming in a small region of the planet - in practice, about 2 of petrol wasted!!

I will have to decide if this event seals the Fluence's fate.

I would still hope to hear back from Bob the Teach on his progress, or otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

RE: My first 'Danger' warning sign.

... seems like it could be my last! :?

The messages are now permanent and do not clear.

Fluence will be going back to its maker.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Just like this:

http://www.israellycool.com/2012/12/...w-type-of-car/

...but I doubt they'll replace the motor so quickly.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 04:20 AM

I suppose in some ways like Bob the Teach you are lucky it has happened within warranty. I know you have been asking everyone who has had a failure to PLEASE PLEASE ask how much the repair would have cost out of warranty. Unfortunately it looks like you will have that opportunity yourself now and be able to share the costs with the forum. Must be all that saintly moderate hypermiling you are doing Donald, no good for the motor!!. I've topped out at 65 mile range for the summer and am looking at getting back down to 50 with the approaching winter.

As I have stated many times on this forum, I don't think we need to worry too much about battery failure, it is a big mechanical failure outwith the warranty that is going to kill our Fluences!!

On the upside though I have finally found an EV that I would actually quite like to buy when my Fluence dies. The Ford Focus EV, a snip at 28k!!. I will be watching Autotrader for the second hand values in 2016.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 04:35 AM

I think I was probably the first to have the DANGER - ELECTRIC MOTOR FAILURE sign come up - as I was driving along. I had just gone up a steep hill and was cruising down the village main street when it happened. The motor was certainly still working. More alarmingly when I braked (dust cart blocking the road dead ahead so i coldn't cruise to a halt) the car actually accelerated sharply! Having got it stopped and having aged quite a few years the car was carried off to MK where, weeks later they wanted me to collect it as it was "ready" - i.e. they had not been able to reproduce the fault so expected me to carry on test driving it to see if I could survive another incident! That's when I rejected the car and demanded a replacement.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william
I think I was probably the first to have the DANGER - ELECTRIC MOTOR FAILURE sign come up - as I was driving along. I had just gone up a steep hill and was cruising down the village main street when it happened. The motor was certainly still working. More alarmingly when I braked (dust cart blocking the road dead ahead so i coldn't cruise to a halt) the car actually accelerated sharply! Having got it stopped and having aged quite a few years the car was carried off to MK where, weeks later they wanted me to collect it as it was "ready" - i.e. they had not been able to reproduce the fault so expected me to carry on test driving it to see if I could survive another incident! That's when I rejected the car and demanded a replacement.
I can't remember what the fault display actually said but I remember once I had parked up and retuned to the car about an hour later. I put it in drive and as soon as I pressed the accelerator there was a horrible juddering noise and the car would not move. Had to call out RAC. Usual questions from the RAC man (maybe because my wife was in the driving seat at this point!!), Have you released the handbrake?. He then asked to try in reverse (which we hadn't) and off it went. Fault has never been replicated to this day. The RAC man did insist I took him on a run though as he was really intrigued about the car. Had been on the training course but never attended a breakdown for one. He left his van and we went for a 5 mile run (on the motorway). Don't know what we would have done if it broke down again??
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricdream
I know you have been asking everyone who has had a failure to PLEASE PLEASE ask how much the repair would have cost out of warranty. Unfortunately it looks like you will have that opportunity yourself now and be able to share the costs with the forum.
The irony!

Not only in warranty, but a couple of months from the end of the PCP.

I'll be sending it back with both keys, books, V5, etc.. I have a strange premonition I am not going to be seeing the car again.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald

I'll be sending it back with both keys, books, V5, etc.. I have a strange premonition I am not going to be seeing the car again.

That would be a shame as you have been an excellent contributor to the forum and indeed your early posts were instrumental in me deciding to take the plunge. However needs must, we might see you back in a Zoe!!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

I had my funfair moment today when all the lights on the dashboard lit up - Danger, orange spanner and all sundry icons as I coasted with no power. I had just recharged in a Dunfermline public car park and was slowly negotiating my downhill exit. With a car behind me, I hit the hazards and coasted to the kerb, noting that the text display message screen was in a tasteful red colour.

Going into Park, and cycling the startup key procedure everything was normal and the journey back to Glasgow uneventful. There were high ambient external temperatures (Fife, who would have thought?) but I trust this will be the same as the Twizy - spectacular, but ultimately unrepeatable.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 05:10 PM

We are experimental motorists. It's exciting, but ultimately fun. Yes, a reboot will usually solve things, and electricity isn't all that complicated, so we should be able to muddle through.

I suspect that Renault have us as early adopter guinea pigs who are pretty easy to deal with as we are so few. Can you imagine how BMW will cope when their electric cars pile up in the repair facility? Well know, BMW make fistfulls of money on their cars, so they have lots of customers cash to throw at problems. Speak to those with the infamous BMW Nicosil coated engines.

But we haven't paid through the nose for our Renaults. So we can take a relaxed view. Renault won't want to walk away from problems, they will want to learn from the early problems so they don't have it repeated when the volume production starts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page