Winter Tyres - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

Winter Tyres

Has anyone tracked down winter tyres for the Fluence?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 08:25 AM

RE: Winter Tyres

They are a regular size and type. No problem.

If I were to have kept my Fluence, I'd likely be changing on to Kleber Quadraxer all season tyres. Not bad for economy and noise, and good value.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 02:45 PM

Just reviewing options - the Quadraxer is only 'E' rolling resistance rated in the 'H' speed rating tyre. The 'V' rating gets a 'C' rolling resistance, though.

Alternatively, there is also a Goodyear Eagle LS2 that looks fine as an all season tyre and is 'C' rated for rolling resistance and is also rated to deliver a very quiet 67dB, all for a bargain price cheaper than the Quadraxer. That's probably what I'd go for.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator

I think I'll wait until the existing set wear down!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 03:15 AM

I had my concerns last year because although the tyres had 5mm tread front (I do not think it is a good idea to go into winter months with less than 4mm on), that block pattern doesn't look like it is a very good one for snow, and I wasn't going to go buy new tyres for a leased car. You need strongly profiled wide shoulder blocks for snow. Fortunately it didn't see much snow, but I'd say it's odds-on that we'll see a bit more snow this year.

The way an EV puts its torque down from zero speed means suitable winter tyres will be more important still, than for an ICE, IMHO.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 04:40 AM

Although I'm a complete convert to winter tyres, I haven't so far felt the need to fit them to my Fluence.

One reason is that I use winter tyres on my other (petrol) car, so I have the option of using that on days when it looks as though winter tyres will make a big difference (I know that they help more generally in all conditions below about 7C).

The other is that I still don't really feel confident enough to judge how much going to a winter tyre that may not have the low rolling resistance of the standard tyre will affect range at a time of the year when the car will be delivering less range anyway.

Incidentally, on the subject of "the way an EV puts its torque down from zero speed" I've just realised that since my car had the recall/service items carried out at its service a month or two back, it no longer gives a brief graunch of wheelspin if I press the accelerator hard from rest. Has there been some sort of software recalibration? I also think regen may be a bit milder as well.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDave
I also think regen may be a bit milder as well.
That'll just be the battery ageing.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

It looks like 75 per tyre plus fitting charge for a prime manufacturer. At 500 miles per month and using them 5 months per year, we should be set up for five or more years years use. No exhaust or catalytic converter or particulate filter or cambelt to worry about either, so it looks an easy decision to get the order in.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 05:31 PM

As described in a separate post, I got pretty good traction from my new Michelin Alpine 5 today. They are slightly more noisy than the factory fitted summer tyres I had on.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

Good news, especially about the performance on the test track.

We got some Pirelli tyres for winter, but it's still warm here in Wales, so the tyres have not been fitted. I am expecting some reduction in range, but our road surfaces are poor compared with Denmark so I don't expect to hear the extra noise.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page