Slippery Driving - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Slippery Driving

I took my Fluence to a local winter training track today, here are some lessons learned:

I had fitted new Michelin Alpine 5 yesterday, and that does affect impressions. I had to go very fast to make the car slide.

So how is it? Does 300 kg of battery in the trunk and energy harvesting on front wheels make it a spinner? Not at all! On wet smooth special tarmac I had to do 50 km/h to get some sliding, and 65 km/h to get proper temporary loss of control. At no time did the rear slip, all I got was understeer. Regaining control was just a matter of releasing the throttle, unsteering slightly, and that was it. People on summer tyres did full rotations at 40 km/h...

The instructors said the car looked extremely well behaved. Last time I did such training is more than 20 years ago, so I have no comparison.

On dry tarmac the car behaved like any other car, similar braking lengths and same driver issues as everyone else.

In conclusion, apparently no adaption of techniques required, and new winter tyres take out a lot of the 'fun'

I used 36% battery in total on the two 45 minute sessions. Temperature 5 degrees celcius
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page