battery charging impossible - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

battery charging impossible

Don't know if there's already a thread for this.

Just gone to use the fluence. Started normally but have battery charging impossible message and orange warning lights ??? Anyone else had this ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 09:24 AM

RE: battery charging impossible

Not had this particular fault on my Fluence but Zoe owners who get this message waggle the charge cable in the socket. Worth a try.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Yes - but rarely. I just remove and reinsert the vehicle plug and it clears.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 03:06 PM

Hi

I had this error message. It wouldn't clear. Car went I to garage where it remained for 2 weeks. Don't think they really knew how to resolve so replaced the whole motor. Getting on for 2k worth of warranty work.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 04:12 PM

....ooops...

Still don't understand replacing the motor, and still reckon they got yours and mine swapped over!!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

To update.
Tried waggling cable, tried both charge ports, tried brick charged - still the same.
Reinseted charge master cable, turn off / on with charge master key.
Indicators flash, fault clears, charging starts.

Weird ...

Even more strange is vehicle range appears to have increased by circa 10 miles per charge.
Its dropped to around 58 over last few weeks, but today (exactly same journey,weather, driving style) shows 69 post charging.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 07:39 PM

I think you may have a degraded neutral connection somewhere. Maybe some damp has got into a connection. Could be anywhere in your house, or down the neutral line to the substation earthed star. Reason I suggest that is that perhaps on the key there is something that causes the current to ramp, whereas plugging in might induce a sudden voltage drop in the circuit, causing a sudden potential change to local earth, prompting a fault condition. Could be total bowlucks, but just a thought.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelee
Don't know if there's already a thread for this.

Just gone to use the fluence. Started normally but have battery charging impossible message and orange warning lights ??? Anyone else had this ??
Yes just had the same message last week. Switched on/off a few times, let it rest for some time, message was gone, fully charged it up, fine.
Drove to work next morning and the error message would come on again during driving (!) so I know it's got definitely nothing to do with charging/equipment. I brought it to the ZE dealer then, after two days they told me they can't find/fix it, need help from Renault. So I'm waiting for diagnosis and remedy, will post the outcome of the exercise when they're done with it.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 06:42 PM
Banned

What is the condition of the 12v battery? Check it with a multimeter?

A very long shot but go with it. The Prius (not an EV but has a weak 12v battery charge system) starts to display weird, strange and wonderful error messages when the 12v starts to fail if the car is used on short trips. In a traditional car the 12v starts to show signs of failure by turning the car over slower and slower over about a week. Also the 12v charging circuit in a traditional car with an alternator is strong and the car will charge up a flat 12v very quickly once jump started. In the Prius the charging is done by the DC to DC system thingy and this is more a slow trickle charge, taking literally hours and hours to top up a jump started flat 12v. If the car does lots of short trips then the 12v doesn't get topped up as quickly as it would in a car with an alternator the 12v gets lower and lower on charge and the weird error messages occur.

Is this the same with the Fluence? Is the 12v charging circuit very 'weak' and slow like the on in Toyota hybrids and thus at the first signs of cold weather people are getting strange error messages?

Are the people who are getting these 'Charging impossible' error messages doing very short runs? Or keeping the radio on in Acc mode whilst at a supermarket? Has anyone checked the condition of their 12v? The cars are now getting on for 3 years old, which in a traditional car is still fine for a 12v, but I am curious if the 12v is the cause? I notice the Leaf has a solar spoiler to trickle charge the 12v. I wonder if that's there for good reason.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator

Because the front Charge socket hasn't enough power to recharge my iPhone, I keep a digital multimeter in the hole instead. It shows the voltage fluctuated between 10.4 and 11.9 rarely reaching 12, never mind 13.8!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page