Renault offers "batteries included" option at last - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Renault offers "batteries included" option at last

Too late for Fluence, but Renault haas finally decided to offer its EVs on a batteries included basis as well.

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/2014...-option/54189/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 05:43 AM
Banned

RE: Renault offers "batteries included" option at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDave
Too late for Fluence, but Renault haas finally decided to offer its EVs on a batteries included basis as well.

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/2014...-option/54189/
Hallelujah, thank the Lord. It must be Chirstmas

About time too. I wonder how long before they pull the plug on existing leases in that they wouldn't be cost effective to manage. I'd love a Fluence with the battery included.

Ooooh I'm excited
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 07:32 AM

The key unlocker to this appears to be that battery prices have dropped.

Hire versus buy is a difference of only 4,500 for the Zoe, and they have dropped the lower rental rate from 45 to 25.

Basically, seems that either battery costs have halved, or they have decided to take a hit on loss-leader to get the market moving. One way or other, that's a consumer win.[hr]
Nothing on Renault.co.uk I can see.

Anyone know what battery warranty they are offering?
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 09:23 AM
Banned

Their website is the usual confused nonsense BUT it does have the updated prices including the battery. I did try to find the updates regarding the lower lease but I couldn't find the lease option now. Looks like the website is in a moment of flux whilst they update things. I'm sure the article gave details of the warranty, or was that on the Renault website? I can't remember.

The 25 pm lease for the zoe really is good value for those who like the lease backup. 77 always seemed ridiculous to me, 45 was better and 25 is bordering on peppercorn and much more like it. If they bring that pricing in for the Fluence then it'll be a bargain car. The article says it's just for the Zoe but with RCI being so confused you are likely to blag it.

And the 4,500 difference shows how crazy the 77 pm for the vehicles life was. If you were just to pay that for 5 years then fine, but opened endedness of it was just plain crazy to me.

UPDATE: This link explains the HIRE/PURCHASE options of the Zoe battery

http://renault.co.uk/cars/electric-v...-e-battery.jsp

At least we all have the OPTION to lease or buy the Renault ZEs and I think sales will now increase. Well done Renault.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 10:42 AM

So, it's now 50pm for 7,500 miles.

It'd be a nice saving for the Fluence, but I doubt RCI can cope with changing their finance agreements half-way through, because they aren't Renault UK who are making the offer. But stranger things have happened. eg. Renault UK might say that the 77 pm on Fluence now covers the 12,500mi pa range, and what they would then do is pay RCI any differentials.

It does feel like a chance for Renault AND RCI to dump collecting the lease on the 50 (?) odd Fluences in private hands, more trouble than worth. I'm sad to have lost the Fluence, but even if the battery lease is dropped I would not help but feel some trepidation going forward, past the warranty period, given my experiences.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 11:22 AM
Banned

What do you make of the ZE Access section further down on the page? I guess it's aimed for low mileage drivers but 25 for upto 750 miles a quarter. It's not clear, is that 25pm for upto 750 miles a quarter or does it mean 25 every quarter - or is that just wishful thinking?

The latter could be interesting for low(er) mileage owners even accounting for the additional mileage costs.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 12:39 PM

Based on before, it was 25 pm for 3,000 miles per year. They are attempting to target very low mileage, inner city customers.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 01:05 PM
Eep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald
So, it's now 50pm for 7,500 miles.

It'd be a nice saving for the Fluence, but I doubt RCI can cope with changing their finance agreements half-way through, because they aren't Renault UK who are making the offer. But stranger things have happened. eg. Renault UK might say that the 77 pm on Fluence now covers the 12,500mi pa range, and what they would then do is pay RCI any differentials.

It does feel like a chance for Renault AND RCI to dump collecting the lease on the 50 (?) odd Fluences in private hands, more trouble than worth. I'm sad to have lost the Fluence, but even if the battery lease is dropped I would not help but feel some trepidation going forward, past the warranty period, given my experiences.
I think as per flyer's post below:
https://www.renaultzeforum.com/forums...34009#pid34009

the likelihood of Fluence owners being shot of their millstone is near to zero as makes no odds. Though it may just be another case of waiting for RCI to wise up. When the evidence is overwhelming, waiting seems to pay off.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 02:28 PM

4500 pounds for the zoe battery in the UK? That`s great... when they proposed the zoe with batteries to me, they valued it at 6000 pounds!!!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 06:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer
4500 pounds for the zoe battery in the UK? That`s great... when they proposed the zoe with batteries to me, they valued it at 6000 pounds!!!
There have been posts in the past that quoted the replacement cost of 7,000 (as it then was) as total BS. Nissan at the time had a 5,000 cost difference between their lease and purchase options, yet Renault were suggesting more.

Doesn't a 4,500 replacement cost make a total mockery of their 'for life' battery lease. At 77pm you will have paid for the battery in 5 years, yet are expected to keep leasing it for the life of the car. That was always BS to me. If they'd have restricted their lease to the first 5 years as a lease to purchase then it wouldn't have been half bad.

But the cost of batteries are falling fast which is why leasing seemed BS to me. Years ago my Prius battery cost about 5,000 and today they're advertised at 800*. Nothing's changed to the battery, just the cost of production. Tesla hope costs on their li-ion batteries will drop considerably once their mega factory is up n running.

* http://www.toyota.co.uk/hybrid-faq halfway down

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page