End of Charge heating - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

End of Charge heating

Maybe it's just me, but folk do get this to work? I ask, because despite following the manual all I seem to achieve is a failure to charge at all! Is there any shortcut to allow the car to heat the cabin following a 100% charge, rather than by setting the dash timer?

On the three occasions I have tried this, my Fluence doesn't accept any charge (once the external timer activates when the off peak tariff goes live). As you csn imagine, coming out to a cold car is annoying, but when it still has the same charge level as when I plugged it in is one major inconvenience!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 08:38 AM
Banned

RE: End of Charge heating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzby
Is there any shortcut to allow the car to heat the cabin following a 100% charge, rather than by setting the dash timer?
No, afaik that's the only way.
Quote:
On the three occasions I have tried this, my Fluence doesn't accept any charge (once the external timer activates when the off peak tariff goes live). As you csn imagine, coming out to a cold car is annoying, but when it still has the same charge level as when I plugged it in is one major inconvenience!
Preheating usually works with my car according to the procedure in the manual:
- plug car in, start charging
- set timer, activate preheating
- pull off key, close car

Do you have the possibility to bypass the external timer, i.e. have the charge line powered all the time? That's the first thing I'd try.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

It means getting out of bed, getting wrapped up then venturing out into the driveway at 00:01 and that attracts me less than scraping ice of the screen in the morning!

It would appear that the pre-heat system trips out if the supply drops prior to going live at midnight. What a disappointment!

UPDATE: Had an idea... Since Fluence is already fully charged - I have left the lead connected and powered (the car isn't drawing power) so setting the timer for 0600, exiting, and locking it might just do the business. I'll keep the thread updated when tomorrow dawns!

one ice-free car and a warm start-up! Looks as though the only way this can work is with the car initiating the Timer setting whilst the catch lead is, and remsins powered. A timer just makes it drop out.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 01:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
one ice-free car and a warm start-up!
Glad you sorted it out, so you can drive off safely and cosy and use the battery power to eat miles ;-)

Quote:
Looks as though the only way this can work is with the car initiating the Timer setting whilst the catch lead is, and remains powered. A timer just makes it drop out.
Exactly what I suspected to make the difference.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 03:34 PM

I experimented with this early on. You don't need to be ending a charge but you do need to have had the charge lead plugged in for at least an hour before the heater timer is due to come on. Sometimes I would have a charged or nearly charged car and then go plug in in the morning if needed. It had to be plugged in before ~6.45AM for a charge timer setting of 8AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

To save me a sleepless night - is the heating ON time when you want it to start, or your planned departure time? I'd love to know what the ramp up time is (from cold).
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 06:55 AM

When you turn of the ignition with the key and remove it does the climate control timer symbol come up on the small LCD screen with a target time for departure?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

It comes up with a Time that is either Time 1 or Time 2, but unless the timer button on the console is pressed, nothing will happen.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 02:01 PM

Apologies if I am mixing up your reply, No time should come up on the small info LCD (in front of steering wheel) unless
the timer button is hit once or twice (any time up to 24 hours earlier) when you turn of the ignition and remove the key.
Assuming we are talking about the same thing, the time that comes up on the screen when you leave the car is a target
time +/_ 15 minutes.
If you select 7.00am as your target time the system will wake approximately 6.00 am and the yellow Auto light on the climate control will illuminate, depending on the ambient temperature it may start immediately or it could start after 10/15 minutes.
The temperature should be getting close at 6.45/6.50am, it will then maintain the temperature up to approximately 7.15am.
If the drivers door does not open before the system shuts down at approximately 7.15am the system will retry the following morning, If the power is even briefly interrupted at any point while this is going on the procedure will terminate and may try again the following morning.
Also be aware some public charging points (usually pre 2011) will not re-engage after a charge has been completed for
thermal management or pre-heating the cabin as they can lose the authorisation originally received when swiping your
card. this can effect the Fluence if the car tries to ask for energy to cool the pack after charging like if a strong sun comes out late in the day, this does not effect the cooling if the car has been cooling before the charge has ended.
However this can be a pain if coming home from work on a freezing evening to find you have a cold car because the charge finished hours earlier.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 02:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
To save me a sleepless night - is the heating ON time when you want it to start, or your planned departure time? I'd love to know what the ramp up time is (from cold).
ON time is desired departure time, I think heating starts approx 1 hour before ON and stops half an hour after ON (i.e. provided charging is finished by then).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page