charging problem - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

charging problem

Hi everybody.
i got my Fluence Z.e 3 months ago. Nowadays i got charging problem at home. offently, i used standart home plug to charge it. But, last 5 charge, it never fully charged. for. ex. i come home at 5 pm. and pluged it. and next day, at 7 a.m it seems everytihg is ok. the charge status lamp on charging adaptor lights green. but, when i open the doors, it begins charging again and, on the board, i see the 45 min. remaining to charge fully. the enviroment temp. is about 5-7 C degree. so it would never charge fully

did you have any ideas about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

RE: charging problem

I've never (ever) used my brick to charge the Fluence, but I am aware it IS slow at just 10 amps. Do you get the email telling you that charging has stopped (at 100%) at any time?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzby
I've never (ever) used my brick to charge the Fluence, but I am aware it IS slow at just 10 amps. Do you get the email telling you that charging has stopped (at 100%) at any time?
first, i allways used my home charge kit. not wall charger. but, on the charger adapter, there are 3 types of light. first one is green and means, charging is %100 complete. ( i am sure its %100, also i got a counter in order to measure the energy, which i used to charge the battery. also, i can check it.. ) but, last 6 or 5 charge, i saw the car stopped the charge and when i opened the door, then charging continued....

i'm thinking about the temperature...maybe because of the low temp. the charger adaptor couldnt charge the batteries...or because of the low temp. one of the cells are broken down..
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 12:18 PM

I've used the 10A charge cable ever since getting my car and it's never failed to work. The green light indicates mains connected - I use the cable via a timer and the green light comes on as the timer switches on and the light remains on after a full charge until the timer cuts power off. I am baffled as to what your problem could be but from your information it's not going to be the cable at fault.

Just a thought, is the car set to warm the car while plugged into the charger once charging is complete? That might be causing the problem.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 06:28 PM

This is normal by the way your charging, when the conditions are cold.
Because your charging and departure time is so far apart the pack is going cold and settling.
The same thing would occur if you charge the car on Friday and got into it on Monday morning. Opening the door just wakes the car
up, I wont start to explain what happens at this point but the BMS will try to creep the voltages back up on the cells.
As the pack gets older this becomes more obvious, this does not happen when ambient temperatures are higher.
The way around this is do what most other people do and that is use the cheaper night rate electricity which means charging in
the early hours of the morning and if possible utilising the warm start for your departure time, this will also extend your mileage.
I would suggest investing in a timer to facilitate this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 03:07 PM

The battery management system can only estimate the charge of the battery. After a charge, the cells will 'rest' and the open circuit voltage comes down. When you open the door, the system is activated, recognises that the cells are not at their maximum charge, after this 'resting', and so goes to put a little more charge in to them.

It is within the normal behaviour of a battery like this, in these circumstances. Nothing to worry about.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page