charling lead faulty - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

charling lead faulty

Hi guys,

Got in my car today and was surprised to see it hadn't charged last night, on checking my lead the one that has the 13amp plug on I can see it has scorch marks on it and all 3 of the lights are flashing. Has anyone any idea of the warranty on these leads the car was 3 years old in Jan but I bought it with 300 miles on it 15 months ago

Thanks in advance, oh and I live in a property that I do not own and the owners didn't want a charging station to be installed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 03:26 PM

RE: charling lead faulty

Renault were not allowed to sell the portable charge point here as networks were afraid people would use them on an ongoing bases running the risk of fire.
The original Mennekes / J1772 charge lead supplied with the car had a re-call due to overheating.
If the portable charge point unit you have was supplied by Renault it may also be covered, It is worth a conversation with the local Renault dealer.
However if it failed on the 13A plug end they will completely ignore any argument.
I would suggest using the normal charge point as eventually some thing will let go.
At this point I have seen enough damage during inspections to warrant a negative view of the portable charge points, they are perfect for the odd time when you are stuck.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

RE: charling lead faulty

They do go to great pains to point out the brick is for 'occasional' use only, so they could easily tell that the brick was being used to excess due to the internal timer. I also recall overhearing that as an accessory, it was warranted for 12 months only, and had nothing to do with the 4+ guarantee.

If the 13a plug is scorched, it sounds as though the socket it used was incapable of sustained 10a draw (the main reason they gave the warning). I carry mine in the bood for emergencies, but have never, ever used it - I've always had a T2 connection or a J1722 tethered lead to use.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page