New brushes fitted - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

New brushes fitted

My Fluence has had to have new brushes fitted.

The first sign something was up was an orange warning "Elec system to check"

My nearest Renault dealers had all lost their EV technician or he/she was on holiday, so I ended up taking it in to Smith in Peterborough who had it in for two weeks - this was nothing like as bad as it sounds as much of that period was because I was away. Also, it took them a bit of time to track down the problem and I think some of the work had to be done by their service manager who was EV qualified, but had other stuff on his plate.

Overall I think Smith did quite a good job - friendly and efficient and they gave me a courtesy car for the full period my car was in the shop.

I also had an annual service done, which cost just 56.

The only annoying thing was that I scraped one of the alloys on the courtesy car for which they stung me 90 - but that was my own fault. Still, 56 + 90 = 146, still cheaper than I usually pay for servicing for an ICE car!

Apparently, the new brushes are to a modified design, designed to address a known issue with these parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 03:41 AM
Super Moderator

RE: New brushes fitted

Interesting - was the loaner an EV....? Your service price matches mine - there IS no price on Renault's system for a Fluence service - they've charged you for a Zoe!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 04:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDave
Hmmm...yet another fault pattern of the electric motor...
May I ask - what is the age and mileage of your Fluence?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaty68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDave
Hmmm...yet another fault pattern of the electric motor...
May I ask - what is the age and mileage of your Fluence?
It was registered in Spring 2012 and has done almost 15,000 miles.

This is the first fault the car has shown since I bought it (6,700 miles, summer 2013).

Although the dealer had not seen this problem (or, I think any other Fluence at all!) before, it seems from their contacting Renault that this is one of the things that can go wrong. Everything was dealt with satisfactorily under the warranty.

The brushes are apparently a modified type - I don't know whether there is/will be a recall.

I would have thought that replacing the brushes would be a large and expensive job, but the impression I get after reading around briefly on the Internet is that this may not be so.

In general, I am still very pleased indeed with the car - if anything, I appreciate the space, comfort, equipment, quietness and smoothness even more as time passes.
[hr]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzby
Interesting - was the loaner an EV....? Your service price matches mine - there IS no price on Renault's system for a Fluence service - they've charged you for a Zoe!
Actually, it was a Clio diesel. They also had the new Twingos, which would have been interesting, but they were all already booked out.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 03:11 AM

I'm surprised to hear that the Fluence has 'brushes' because they are only on brushed motors while electric cars use brushless, three-phase motors. Can anyone explain, please?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 05:20 AM

Thumbs up ???3

Top Rated ,Outdoor backpack;GEDENGNI BAGS OUTLET, the Outdoor backpack best place to buy CHEAP GED GEDENGNI BAGS ENGNI. 2017 Top 5 hot selling GEDENGNI OUTLET USA REVIEWS, GEDENGNI BAGS wholesale ON SALE, $5~10 OFF, 100% Quality Guarantee & Fast Delivery.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page