Tow Bar - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Tow Bar

I just wondered if anyone has a tow bar fitted to there fluence or know if you can have one fitted, It would be handy to have a small trailer for taking rubbish to the local tip etc ?

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 06:06 PM

RE: Tow Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldb38
I just wondered if anyone has a tow bar fitted to there fluence or know if you can have one fitted, It would be handy to have a small trailer for taking rubbish to the local tip etc ?

Paul
It should be possible to fit although Renault doesn't allow it on the specs, but each country has it's legal constraints.

If I were to use a small trailer it would be for a generator, to make a range extender, if I could modify the car to accept charging while moving :-D
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 07:37 PM

Yes, in general electrics and hybrids aren't really meant for towing. The only exception I can think of is the Volvo plug-in hybrid, which does have a fairly normal towing weight.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmol2
Quote:

Paul
It should be possible to fit although Renault doesn't allow it on the specs, but each country has it's legal constraints.

If I were to use a small trailer it would be for a generator, to make a range extender, if I could modify the car to accept charging while moving :-D
Thats interesting thought actually i was thinking about maybe a small solar panel for trickle charging and like you say a range extender. It must be possible because like the brakes when they regenerate it puts energy back while driving. I was also thinking is there any reason why you can't trickle charge or even full charge the battery direct ? Been into electronics i have been following the homebrew ev forums and people are putting fast charging solutions into their projects so why not the fluence ? Also seen it where people have bought fluence batteries and used them in there homebrew cars etc. The way i feel about the fluence is it's a lovely car i prefer to drive this over any other ev i tried, i think if we could come up with a solution for faster charging and maybe range extending we would have the best ev's on the road just humble opinion lol.

its a bit like the betamax vs vhs although vhs won betamax was the better system.

Paul

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 03:59 AM
Super Moderator

A solar panel would achieve nothing useful, unless it only topped up your accessory battery (as it does on the Leaf) and is certainly not cost effective.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzby
A solar panel would achieve nothing useful, unless it only topped up your accessory battery (as it does on the Leaf) and is certainly not cost effective.
Ok so for range extending what are the possibilities ? Lets look at this in a positive way one thing i have noticed is renault fluence seems to be either dropped from conversations dealing with improvements or its all doom and gloom for the fluence which is a shame because its such a beautiful car /drive, i do feel part of a special owners club.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 06:42 AM

Quote:
I was also thinking is there any reason why you can't trickle charge or even full charge the battery direct ? Been into electronics i have been following the homebrew ev forums and people are putting fast charging solutions into their projects so why not the fluence ?
The issue is not technical but legal. It would be easy to create fast charge or range extending, the main problem is the battery lease contract which forbids charging the battery with non-Renault aproved systems.
If you are lucky enough to have a non-lease battery you should consider fast charging instalation, that would solve most range issues.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmol2
Quote:
I was also thinking is there any reason why you can't trickle charge or even full charge the battery direct ? Been into electronics i have been following the homebrew ev forums and people are putting fast charging solutions into their projects so why not the fluence ?
The issue is not technical but legal. It would be easy to create fast charge or range extending, the main problem is the battery lease contract which forbids charging the battery with non-Renault aproved systems.
If you are lucky enough to have a non-lease battery you should consider fast charging instalation, that would solve most range issues.
I know what your saying so i wonder if we can get a renault solution? Or put a case to them, after all the car was supposed to be a quick drop solution which would have been faster but all thats history. Another way which i see allot on the DIY Ev groups is to maybe a custom battery solution which would in theory release the lease of the renault battery ? Think the main point i'm getting at is some guys take a petrol/diesel car and convert it to electric. All we have to do is sort out a battery and a quicker way to charge, i totally agree a faster charge system would solve the issue of range extending, in fact i don't know about you but if it had a faster charge system we would have a near perfect car.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Renault have moved on - it's called the Zoe. The team that developed the ZE did so from the Megane, and mofified it. Much of the folk who were involved (and we're going back 7 years) have either moved on, retired or died. It's not doom and gloom - it was a child of its time and we've been lucky to still be part of it.

There will be no development for Fluence ZE - that ship has sailed (sadly) but I am delighted with my purchase and will continue to do so until external factors prevent me using it. Umtil then, I'm enjoying every mile.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Another way which i see allot on the DIY Ev groups is to maybe a custom battery solution which would in theory release the lease of the renault battery ?
That would be the way to go, but the price to develop a safe and reliable battery pack, including the software connection between the battery and the car, will be very high.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page