Chademo rapid charging - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Chademo rapid charging

Is there a kit available to upgrade the fluence to Chademo rapid charging system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 05:17 PM

RE: Chademo rapid charging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliguy
Is there a kit available to upgrade the fluence to Chademo rapid charging system?
I don't know of any ready-made kit. You'll have to build your own!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

Absolutely not.

The car was never designed for rapid charging (the 'superior' battery-swap method was preferred as part of the lowest downtime mantra. You're limited to 16a in total, anf I doubt the battery could take anything more... and thats even after replacing the inbuilt charger, cabling, sockets etc etc. It's a non starter in more ways than one!
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzby
You're limited to 16a in total, anf I doubt the battery could take anything more... and thats even after replacing the inbuilt charger, cabling, sockets etc etc. It's a non starter in more ways than one!
If you think about it, on regen you get up to 34kW into the battery.

In fact the battery can take up to 47kW, as reported on CAN BUS messages.
And it makes sense as it's the same cells as the Nissan's Leaf which has ChaDeMo.

You can check it with the CanZE App.

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

What the battery is capable of is only a slight comfort. The socket could be changed relatively easily, but the wiring loom? That would be a major issue, and that's before you ever get to the replacement chager electronics. Yes, the Zoe Chamelion charger might be a candidate, but will it fit? You then have to upgrade the cars firmware and from memory this is locked down.

In the UK you would have to seek approval from your insurer before they provide cover on public roads and many are not fans of modifications of any sort, never mind homebrew ones. Then there's Renault.... your 4+ warranty is invalidated, as is your battery lease (have you read it?)

And even if the car DID work after all this, for what ultimate benefit? Charging a bit faster? I'd never recommend or contemplate such action as what do you do after you've bricked the car...? Sell the remaining cells to Leaf owners to experiment with, and wave goodbye to the rest as it goes to the scrap yard?

That would be vandalism in my book!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 06:10 AM
Banned

The nice thing about DC-Chargers like ChaDeMo and CCS is, that the charger electronics are located in the charging station. So the vehicle inlect connects directly to the battery, no Chameleon or similar needed.

I agree though in general that it shouldn't be done, because
a) the effort to implement ChaDeMo in the Fluence is kind of prohibitive, unless one is deadly dedicated to do it - mainly by himself of course, I can't imagine Renault to approve or even support such action
b) It's always possible there is a small piece of engineering you didn't take care of (e.g. like battery cooling) which is not designed for fast charging. This may come into the way later, and possible spoil the whole thing or even cause defects.

The situation is not really comparable to regen, because that happens only for short time, not for nearly a full charge.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 07:59 AM

I maybe taking place in a test for chardemo on my fluence, its a 3rd party charger and currently been tested. The idea is you can add it to any EV providing the battery's can take it. In the Fluence there the same cells as used in a Leaf. And before anyone jumps on me (BUZBY) i actually own the car and the Battery. If i go for the option i'll let you know how it goes.

Paul
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 09:40 AM
Banned

Hey Paul that's great - IF someone takes on the task to fit a chademo input to the Fluence and integrate it in the car (including battery management system), AND you are prepared to take the risk and be the guinea pig, then we might have a viable aftermarket solution in the end.
I have to admit though, I wouldn't do it unless it's proven to be safe and sound.

Beat
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaty68
Hey Paul that's great - IF someone takes on the task to fit a chademo input to the Fluence and integrate it in the car (including battery management system), AND you are prepared to take the risk and be the guinea pig, then we might have a viable aftermarket solution in the end.
I have to admit though, I wouldn't do it unless it's proven to be safe and sound.

Beat
Well be assured the company releaseing this in the uk are well known to the ev world and have a first class reputation. I am weighing up the pros and cons at the moment but i have to say i'm very tempted. I would sooner buy a renault upgrade but i don't think this will happen so third party it is.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 08:05 PM

When discussing this matter it seems obvious to me that:
1. It invalidates any warranty of the car
2. The battery must be yours (not on lease)
3. You need to have a way to keep it legal in your country
4. You can get to a point where the car software refuses to work

If these conditions are met I see no reason why you can't build your Fast DC charging system.

Major problems I see are controlling the battery temperature and interfacing the car software, the rest is no big deal.

For the battery cooling I would try to redirect the ar conditioning cold air to the battery compartment. The software part I think is the greater challenge for an individual, but if you have a large team working on it it's feasible.

On the end it all depends on how much are you willing to spend.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page